Certificate in Technology Education Program
Registration deadline for the September 2018 cohort is June 29, 2018. Minimum enrollment required to run cohort.
Eligible students who submit their complete application with full supporting eligible documentation will be given priority in the acceptance process to each cohort.
If you are a teacher of technology presently working in Nova Scotia, you can upgrade and diversify the technology background with the Certificate in Technology Education.
Explore a variety of hands-on experiences and teaching methodologies that strengthen traditional skills and introduce new technologies to better meet the demand for qualified technology educators for the public school system.
You must have a valid Nova Scotia teacher’s license and be a current Technology Education teacher or a teacher designated to teach Technology Education.
You must complete 10 approved courses with a cumulative average of 65 per cent. Eight of the 10 courses must be from the Faculty of Agriculture's course list. The other two courses are teaching methodology courses offered by Acadia University for this program. You will have a maximum of six years to complete the program. Courses are conducted outside regular school hours in evenings and summer sessions.
Note: It is the responsibility of individual teachers to ensure they comply with the requirements of the NS Department of Education for continuing education and upgrades.
*In no particular order
- APSC1004- Wood Construction Technology - Truro Campus
- ENGN1001-Engineering Design and Graphics - Truro Campus
- APSC3018- Technology modules - Truro Campus- Truro Campus
- APSC2008- Digital Electronics and Computer Interfacing- Truro Campus
- APSC2000- Environmental Impacts and Resource Management- Truro Campus
Truro campus classes will run one evening a week from 5:00-8:00pm for 13 weeks. Wtihin those 13 weeks students will be required to participate in two full Saturdays to complete the hours needed for each class.
- APSC2007- Fluid Power Technology - Sexton Campus, Dal Halifax (one full week in July)
- APSC3019- Communications Technology- Cobequid Education Centre, Truro (one full week in July)
- APSC1005- Metal Construction Technology - Truro Campus (one full week in July)
Students are responsible for arranging their own summer accommodations for the summer courses.
Acadia University courses (delivered online)
- EDUC 5073- Technology & Curriculum: Technology Studies -Online
- EDUC 5873- Problems in Education: Technological Education and Sustainability - Online
Acadia Application Process
Students will be required to apply to Acadia University, while in the program, to take these online courses. Documentation required for Acadia are as follows:
- Acadia Application
- $50.00 application fee, by Visa or cheque (payable to Acadia University)
- Resume / CV
- A copy of your Teacher Certificate
- Letter of Permission
- Transcript Request
- Academic Letter of Support
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for the 8 courses taken at the Faculty of Agriculture is TBA- Tuition for 2018.2019 academic year will be annouced the week of April 23rd, 2018.
Tech Ed Program Fee is $185/course
*Please note Dalhousie reserves the right to make changes without notice in its published scale of changes for tuition and other fees
What do I need to apply?
1) Paper copy of the application form can be downloaded here [PDF].
2) A copy of your NS Teachers License.
3) A listing of all teaching experience
4) All Post-Secondary OFFICIAL Transcripts. You DO NOT need your high school transcript
5) Application fee of $70 by either cheque or state Visa or Mastercard number on the form.
6) Principal's letter of support if not currently a Technology Teacher.
Please forward all above information to Extended Learning on the Agricultural Campus in Truro, NS.
Note: DO NOT send to the Registrar's office in Halifax. Those applications submitted directly to Halifax will not be processed or considered for the current course offering.
Dalhousie University Faculty of Agriculture
Extended Learning, Haley Institute
23 Sheep Hill Lane
Truro NS B2N 5E3
or Fax 902.895.5528
We are currently accepting applications to be waitlisted for future cohorts. Please begin the process by emailing email@example.com and by ordering transcripts to be sent to the Faculty of Agriculture - Extended Learning from ALL post-secondary institutions that you have attended.
If you require further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 902.893.6666 or fill out the form below: