Drug and Pharmacy Related Facts & Stats
Pharmaceuticals: Utilization, Costs & Trends
- 2012 Canadian Pharmaceutical Trends (IMS Health)
- Canada's top 100 corporate R&D spenders 2012 (Re$earch Infosource) - List includes several pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Annual Statistical Report Supplement: Medical Services Insurance(MSI) Tables 2012-2013 (PDF) (Nova Scotia Department of Health)
- Generic Drug Sector Study (Competition Bureau Canada - October 2007)
- Sullivan P. Prevention by the pound. CMAJ. 2010 Aug 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hanley GE, Morgan S, Barer M, Reid RJ. The redistributive effect of the move from age-based to income-based prescription drug coverage in British Columbia, Canada. Health Policy. 2011 Jan 19.
- Guertin JR, Jackevicius CA, Cox JL et al. The potential economic impact of restricted access to angiotensin-receptor blockers. CMAJ. 2011 Jan 24th.
- Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI)
United States (US)
- Purvis L, Schondelmeyer S. Rx watchdog report: Brand name drug prices continue to climb despite low general inflation rate. Insight on the Issues [Washington DC; AARP]. 2010 May; 43: 1-13.
- Results from the 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Volume I. Summary of national findings. Rockville MD: U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2010.
- Effects of using generic drugs on Medicare's prescription drug spending: A CBO study. Washington DC: Congress of the United States. Congressional Budget Office; September 2010.
- Herper M. America's most popular drugs. Forbes. April 19th, 2011.
- Soni A. Expenditures for the top five therapeutic classes of outpatient prescription drugs, Medicare beneficiaries, age 65 and older, 2007. MEPS Statistical Brief [US AHRQ]. 2010 Feb;#280:1-5.
- Stagnitti, M. Trends in outpatient prescription gastrointestinal agents purchases and expenditures for the U.S. civilian noninstitutionalized population, 1997 and 2007. Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. January 2010.
- Outlook 2010 (PDF) (Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development) - 2000-2009 reports are available upon request.
- Prescription Drug Trends 2010 Fact Sheet (PDF) (Kaiser Family Foundation) - 2003-2010 fact sheets are also available.
- Brand Name and Specialty Drug Prices Continue to Climb (PDF) (AARP Rx Watchdog Report - May 2010)
- Siwek J. Drug Pricing in AFP - How Much Does a Drug Cost? Am Fam Physician. 2010 Jan 15;81(2):125.
- Prescription drugs. In: Health, United States, 2012. Hyattsville MD: US National Center for Health Statistics; 2012
- Keyhani S, Federman A. Fact or fiction: The need for independent pharmaceutical policy research. J Gen Intern Med. 2009 Apr 3.
- The top five therapeutic classes of outpatient prescription drugs ranked by total expense for adults age 18 and older in the U.S. civilian non-institutionalized population, 2006 (PDF) (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - January 2009).
- Felland LE, Reschovsky JD. More nonelderly American face problems affording prescription drugs. Tracking Report [Center for Studying Health System Change; Washington DC]. 2009 Jan;No.22:[1-4].
- Kelley RK, Venook AP. Nonadherence to imatinib during an economic downturn. N Engl J Med. 2010 Aug 5;363(6):596-8.
- Wagner AK, Graves AJ, Reiss SK et al. Access to care and medicines, burden of healthcare expenditures, and risk protection: Results from the World Health Survey. Health Policy. 2010 Sep 7.
- Baldini CG, Culley EJ. Estimated cost savings associated with the transfer of office-administrated specialty pharmaceuticals to a specialty pharmacy provider in a medical injectable drug program. J Manag Care Pharm. 2011-Feb;17(1):51-9.
- The use of medicines in the United States: Review of 2010.Parsippany NJ: IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics; 2011.
- Subbaraman N. Flawed arithmetic on drug development costs.Nat Biotechnol. 2011 May;29(5):381.
- Doloresco F, Fominaya C, Schumock GT et al. Protecting future drug expenditures - 2011. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2011 May 15;68(10): 921-32.
- Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS). 1999 - 2009: National Admissions to Substance Abuse Treatment Services. DASIS Series: S-56, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 11-4646. Rockville MD: US Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; 2011.
- Prescriptions (UK NHS Information Centre)
- News release: IMS health lowers 2009 global pharmaceutical market forecast to 2.5-3.5 percent growth. Norwalk CT: IMS Health; April 22, 2009.
- Goodman M. Market watch: Specialty pharmaceuticals to provide majority of sales by 2012. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2009 Mar;8(3): 184.
- Goodman M. Market Watch: Pharma industry strategic performance: 2007-2012E. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2008 Dec;7(12):967.
- Mehrpouya A et al for RiskMetrics Group - ESG Analytics. Access to medicine index 2012. Haarlem The Netherlands: Access to Medicine Foundation; November 2012.
- Kanavos P, Vandoros S, Irwin R et al. Differences in costs of and access to pharmaceutical products in the EU. Brussels: European Parliament. Policy Department Economic and Scientific Policy; 2011.
- Employer Health Benefits 2012 Annual Survey (Kaiser Family Foundation)
- Comparing population characteristics of persons purchasing prescribed drugs from mail order pharmacies with persons purchasing prescribed drugs from other outlets, 2005 (PDF) (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - February 2008).
- Paglia-Boak A, Mann RE, Adlaf EM, Rehm J. Drug Use Among Ontario Students, 1977-2011: Detailed OSDUHS findings (CAMH Research Document Series No. 27). Toronto, ON: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health; 2009.
- Paglia-Boak A, Mann RE, Adlaf EM et al. The Mental Health and Well-being of Ontario Students, 1991-2009: Detailed OSDUHS findings (CAMH Research Document Series No. 29). Toronto, ON: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health; 2010.
- An international survey on pharmacists' views on their changing roles. Supported by a grant from Pfizer in collaboration with FIP.The Hague NE: International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP); August 2010, Powerpoint presentation.
- Van Puymbroeck RV. Basic survival needs and access to medicines - coming to grips with TRIPS: Conversion + calculation. J Law Med Ethics. 2010 Sep;38(3):520-49.
- Pope TM. Legal briefing: Conscience clauses and conscientious refusal. J Clin Ethics. 2010 Summer;21(2):163-76.
- Friedman AJ, Cosby R, Boyko S et al. Effective Teaching Strategies and Methods of Delivery of Patient Education: A Systematic Review and Practice Guideline Recommendations. J Cancer Educ. 2010 Dec 16.
- Lucado J, Paez K, Elixhauser A. Medication-Related Adverse Outcomes in U.S. Hospitals and Emergency Departments, 2008: Statistical Brief #109. 2011 Apr. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs [Internet]. Rockville (MD): Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (US); 2006 Fec.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: Pharmacist (United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2012-2013 Edition).
- Distribution and Internal Migration of Canada's Pharmacist Workforce(Canadian Institute for Health Information - April 7th 2010).
- 2012 Global Pharmacy Workforce Report (International Pharmaceutical Federation)
- Walton SM, Knapp KK, Miller L; Schumock GT. Examination of state-level changes in the pharmacist labor market using Census data. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2007 May-Jun;47(3): 348-57. (Available free through Medscape).
- Pharmacists regarded as most trusted profession for a second year running. Newswire.ca. Jan 4, 2012.
- Orpana HM, Ross N, Feeny D et al. The natural history of health-related quality of life: A 10-year cohort study. Health Reports[Statistics Canada]. 2009 Mar;20(1):1-7.
- National issues of concern: What is your most important issue of national concern (NANOS Research - March 28, 2009). [PDF]
- Marrett LD, De P, Airia P, Dryer D. Cancer in Canada in 2008. Steering committee of Canadian cancer statistics 2008. CMAJ. 2008 Nov 18;179(11):1163-70.
- Promoting innovative solutions to health human resources challenges. Report of the Standing Committee on Health, Joy Smith, Chair. Ottawa, ON: House of Commons, 40th Parliament, 3rd Session; June 2010.
- Study: Beverage consumption by children and adults (The Daily, Statistics Canada - November 19th 2008).
- Skinner BJ, Rovere M. Canada's Medicare Bubble: Is government health health spending sustainable without user-based funding? Studies in healthcare policy. Vancouver BC: Fraser Institute; April 2011. [PDF]
- QuintilesIMS Canada.
United States (US)
- Early Release of Selected Estimates Based on Data from the 2008 National Health Interview Survey (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - June 24th, 2009).
- Medicaid and the uninsured: American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (AARA): Medicaid and health care provisions (Kaiser Family Foundation - March 2009).
- Jemal A, Thun MJ, Ries LA et al. Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2005, featuring trends in lung cancer, tobacco use, and tobacco control. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008 Dec 3;100(23):1672-94.
- Poll: Health coverage in an economic downturn: Impact of tight budgets on families and states (Kaiser Family Foundation - November 2008).
- Shrank WH, Liberman JN, Fischer MA, Girdish C, Brennan TA, Choudhry NK. Physician perceptions about generic drugs (January).Ann Pharmacother. 2011 Jan 4. [Epub ahead of print].
- Health, United States, 2012. Hyattsville MD: US National Center for Health Statistics; 2012.
- OECD Health Data 2014
- Euro-Canada Health Consumer Index 2010 (Health Consumer Powerhouse/Frontier Centre for Public Study - May 10, 2010). [PDF]
- Backman G, Hunt P, Khosla R et al. Health systems and the right to health: An assessment of 194 countries. Lancet. 2008 Dec 13;372(9655):2047-85.
Cost of Healthcare
- News Release: Towers Perrin health care cost survey shows average annual per-employee cost of $9,960 in 2009 - and the health care affordability gap widens: High performing companies again beat low performers on costs by double-digit percentages - informing policy debate with insights into what works in health care (Towers Perrin - September 24, 2008)
- Trade-offs getting tougher: Problems paying medical bills increase for U.S. Families, 2003-2007 (Center for Studying Health System Change Tracking Report No. 21 - September 2008). [PDF]
- Out-of-pocket costs grow in Medicare part D (Avalere - December 11, 2008) [PDF]
- Hartman M, Martin A, McDonnell P, Catlin A. National Health Expenditure Accounts Team. National Health Spending in 2007: Slower drug spending contributes to lowest rate of overall growth since 1998. Health Aff (Millwood). 2009 Jan-Feb;28(1):246-61.
- Lund JL, Yabroff KR, Ibuka Y et al. Inventory of Data Sources for Estimating Health Care Costs in the United States. Med Care. 2009 June 16. [Epub ahead of print].
- Davis K, Schoen C, Stremikis K. Mirror, mirror on the wall: How the performance of the U.S. Healthcare system compares internationally, 2010 update. Washington DC: Commonwealth Fund; June 2010.
- Occupational Employment Statistics. Occupational Employment and wages, May 2009: 29-1051 pharmacists. Washington DC: U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics; last modified March 29, 2013.
- Featherstone H, Whitham L. The cost of cancer. London: Policy Exchange; February 2010. [PDF]
- Roebuck MC, Liberman JN, Gemill-Toyama M, Brenan TA.Medication Adherence Leads to Lower Healthcare Use and Costs Despite Increased Drug Spending. Health Aff (Millwood). 2011 Jan;30(1):91-9 [PDF]
Published: 01 Jun 2015
Revised: 13 Oct 2015