Recyclables are collected by Facilities Management staff from the interior and exterior 'four bin systems'. In Halifax, recyclables are brought to Youth Live, a provincial ENVIRO-Depot 10 km away, where material is sorted for recycling. Recycling is then sent to the Municipal Recycling Facility (MRF) in Bayers Lake, 15 km away. In Truro on the AC, recyclables are brought to the Colchester Materials Recovery Centre approximately 20 km from campus.
Recyclable Materials include:
- All beverage containers;
- All plastic containers;
- Glass bottles and containers;
- Tin, steel and aluminum cans;
- Tetra juice packs and mini sips;
- Clean aluminum foil and plates;
- All plastic bags;
- Styrofoam at the AC campus and in pilot lab blds in Halifax.
Not-acceptable materials are:
- Coffee cups;
- Non container plastics such as straws, plastic cutlery and dvd cases;
- Broken glass.