Facilities Management at Dalhousie University has been using green cleaning practices for over 20 years.
Dalhousie has a Green Cleaning Policy which serves as a guideline for green cleaning standards and practices. The university is committed to using cleaning products which are EcoLogo or Green Seal certified where available, come in recycled packaging that is recyclable, and which meet as much of the criteria outlined in the Green Cleaning Policy as possible. An educational program has been developed for custodial staff and supervisors on health and sustainability, including proper procedures for safety, tools, techniques, and environmental standards.
The policy goals include:
- reducing the exposure of building occupants and custodial and maintenance personnel to potentially harmful and hazardous contaminants that may adversely affect air quality, human health, building finishes, building systems and the environment
- reducing the amount of products purchased and used thus reducing waste and costs
- purchasing sustainable flooring products that are durable and are suited to diverse occupant settings in a campus environment
- increasing waste diversion 2
- reducing energy and water consumption through intelligent equipment purchases and custodial practices