Undergraduate Program Proposals
Types of Program Propopsals
New Degree or Diploma
- New degrees and diplomas;
- New majors and honours programs within existing degrees;
- Any program modification or program termination deemed by SAPRC to warrant review by Senate.
- A program which leads to an exit credential;
- A program which is the equivalent of 30 credits (or one full year) or more of study at the undergraduate level (regardless of whether it leads to an exit credential); and
- A program which is a type to be tracked as per the MPHEC decision
Major Modified Program
- New Minors, Streams, or Areas of Concentration within existing programs;
- New combined degrees or other combinations of existing programs;
- Changes that affect 25% or more of the program credit-hours;
- Any other program modification that requires external approval by the MPHEC.
Minor Modified Program
- Program changes falling below the threshold for major modification review is delegated to the Faculty Council(s) of the Faculty or Faculties offering the program.
- Notification of the approved change is to be forwarded to the Senate Vice-Chair (Academic Programs) and to the Registrar for information and monitoring
New Minor Program
Minors are designed to permit undergraduate students to engage in areas of limited specialization in addition to their major degree program(s). Minors are available in some but not all undergraduate programs. Minor programs have a minimum and maximum number of credit hours and a maximum above the 1000-level (as specified by each Faculty). Students may declare more than one minor. No course can count toward more than one minor, and no course can count toward both a major and a minor.
For more information on minors please view the Academic Programs Minors page.
- Suspension of admission of a degree or diploma;
- Termination of a degree or diploma;
- Termination of a major or honours program within an existing degree
Review and Approval Process
|Click for appropriate proposal form1||New Degree or Diploma||Major Modification||New Minor Program2||Suspension or Termination|
|Consultation with Dean/Provost/AVPA3||X||X||X|
|AACHHR Approval (Med/Dent/Health)||X||X||X|
|Submission of complete proposal package to Academic Quality Assurance Manager|
|Undergraduate Academic Programs Subcommittee approval||X||X||X||X|
|Senate Academic Programs and Research Committee
|Board of Governors consent agenda||X||X|
|MPHEC assessment and approval||X||X||X|
1 Not including AACHHR forms, as needed. Select the AACHHR link for access
2Contact Faculty for form
3 Key outcomes are to discuss institutional support for the concept paper/proposal development; discuss ERBA-Exempt program status (if applicable) and initiate approval steps
4Faculty approval processes may vary