Funding, News and Announcements» Go to news main
Message from NSERC and SSHRC
In March 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NSERC and SSHRC provided an opportunity to researchers with grants ending on or before March 31, 2021, to request an extension of the grant’s tenure period beyond the automatic one-year extension prescribed in the Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration. For most funding opportunities, the period for this initial pandemic-related provision will end shortly, on March 31, 2021.
Given the ongoing impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, we recognize that research activities may have been delayed considerably over the past year. Therefore, we are pleased to inform you that NSERC and SSHRC will allow, on request, a one-year extension to grants ending after March 31, 2021, regardless of whether they have received a previous time extension of any length for any reason. Please note that this extension does not apply to funds awarded as part of the three-month supplement for the support of trainees (students, postdoctoral fellows) and research support personnel.
This latest one-year COVID-19 extension applies only to grants awarded under the following funding opportunities:
- Connection Grants
- Partnership Development Grants
- Partnership Grants
- Partnership Engage Grants
- Insight Development Grants
- Insight Grants
- University programs (with the exception of Advancing Climate Change Science in Canada; Canada-UK Artificial Intelligence Initiative; Joint Canada-Germany 2+2 call on Advanced Manufacturing-Industry 4.0; Joint Canada-UK projects on Quantum Technologies; Whale Science for Tomorrow; WaterWorks Joint Call; Ship Time Program; Belmont Forum; Emerging Infectious Disease Modelling Initiative, DND/NSERC Discovery Grant Supplements)
- College and Community Innovation program
- Networks of Centres of Excellence
For all funding opportunities not listed above, the administering institution must continue to request an extension from NSERC or SSHRC by submitting the Grant Amendment Form with a justification from the grant holder. Such extension requests, whether related to COVID-19 or not, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
For more information, please contact Caroline.Sequeira@Dal.Ca
- The Conversation Canada
- Marine Renewables Canada
- NSERC Discovery Horizons
- United States Department of Defense research funding
- Canada Foundation for Innovation: Update May 2021
- Research Nova Scotia Newsletter – May 2021
- Canadian Foundation for Governance Research