Funding, News and Announcements» Go to news main
CIHR has announced an upcoming online discussion on the topic of systemic racism in Canada’s health research funding system. CIHR will use the insight gained in the online discussion to inform the development of an action plan, or plans, to address systemic racism in the health research funding system.
- Starting in January 2021, CIHR will host an online discussion on the topic of systemic racism in Canada’s health research funding system.
- The purpose of the online discussion is ultimately to identify specific measures that CIHR can implement to address barriers faced by racialized communities.
- CIHR specifically invites the engagement of racialized and Indigenous communities with lived experience of systemic racism in the health research sector although the online discussion will be open to all.
- CIHR acknowledges that it must listen to those communities most affected by systemic racism in the research funding system to better understand the ways in which our policies and programs may reinforce systemic barriers or biases and inequities, whether explicit or unconscious.
- CIHR is strongly committed to fostering a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive funding system and recognizes our responsibility—as Canada’s national health research funding agency—to push beyond expressions of commitment and to take actions that will result in tangible changes.
- Starting in spring 2021, CIHR will hold virtual small group listening sessions with racialized communities on systemic racism in the health research funding system that will build upon themes and suggestions from the online discussion.
- Following the engagement activities, CIHR will develop, implement and monitor an action plan, or plans, to address systemic racism in the health research funding system.
For any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SSHRC Insight Information Session
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council
- United States Department of Defense research funding
- Grad students and access to lab spaces
- NS Government Behavioral Insights team
- The Federated Research Data Repository
- NSERC Alliance Grants
- New Frontiers in Research Fund ‑ Exploration Stream