Contract Process

Setting up your contract

More and more, research is being financially supported through agreements with a variety of sponsors, including both industry and government agencies. The Office of Research Services has well-established supports to help researchers navigate this process.


  • The researcher has initial discussions with sponsor related to the scope of the research to be done.
  • The researcher contacts ORS to initiate the development of a research agreement.


  • The legal advisor determines the type of agreement necessary and advises the researcher on issues such as publication and confidentiality. 
  • The Office of Commercialization and Industry Engagement (OCIE) can aid the researcher with discussions about intellectual property and technology transfer.
  • The researcher provides ORS with  a final research workplan and budget, including overhead considerations.
  • The legal advisor is responsible for negotiating the terms of the agreement with the sponsor.


  • The researcher provides:
  • The legal advisor obtains the institutional signature on behalf of Dalhousie and administers copies of agreement to sponsor and researcher.
  • The researcher  obtains necessary approvals for research such as research ethics and animal care.
  • ORS requests an account be opened by Financial Services.

Not sure if you need a contract?

Check out Grants Versus Contracts: What's the Difference?

Receive a full contract from a sponsor?

Occasionally, an external sponsor will send you a contract for signature.  Researchers do not have the authority to sign research contracts. Please contact us immediately.  We will review the agreement, contact the sponsor and negotiate any required changes.

Need a change to an existing agreement?

Changes to the agreement or project, such as an extended time frame or revised budget, are often required over the life of a project. An amendment, signed by the parties to the contract, needs to be in place in order for these changes to be in effect. Please contact us to arrange for such an amendment to be signed.