Anti‑Racism Action Team
The Anti-Racism Action Team is a student-faculty alliance working to address systemic anti-Black and anti-Indigenous racism within academia, which distances and obstructs students and faculty from marginalized communities.
We stand for increased equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI), which is dependent on accountability and transparency in anti-racist efforts. We also recognize the need for students and faculty to be involved in these efforts together and for appropriate student compensation.
We seek to decrease barriers for underrepresented students in academia through the following mandates:
- Outreach to youth in marginalized communities
- Facilitation of research engagement with youth from marginalized communities
- Mentoring opportunities for marginalized youth, undergraduate, and graduate students
- Access to information about research and university opportunities at large to marginalized youth
- Collection of statistical data around EDI within academia
We believe that enough studies have been completed, and now is the time for action. Important work already has been done to understand the underpinnings and legacy of systemic racism at Dal:
- Belong Report
- Report from the Committee on Aboriginal and Black/African Canadian Student Access and Retention
- Report on Lord Dalhousie’s History on Slavery and Race
These reports come with specific recommendations. Let's act on those recommendations.