President's Award for the Advancement of Equity, Diversity and Inclusiveness
At Dalhousie, we believe that equity, diversity and inclusiveness are fundamental to education and employment, and therefore, are essential institutional strategic priorities. To support our collective community efforts to advance equity, diversity and inclusiveness, Dalhousie University is pleased to present the President’s Award for the Advancement of Equity, Diversity and Inclusiveness.
The President’s EDI Award recognizes the outstanding efforts of faculty and staff in advancing equity, diversity and inclusiveness at Dalhousie. See complete Terms of Reference [PDF - 165kB]
Who is Eligible?
Nominations are welcomed and encouraged for individuals and groups in all University areas. A group of faculty and staff members can include a formal University unit or an informal group of faculty and staff members. Nominations must refer to activities that occurred between March 31, 2014 and March 31, 2018. Nominations can be received from current faculty, staff and students.
Nominations must describe how the individual or group demonstrated exceptional and creative achievement in advancing equity, diversity and/or inclusiveness and be linked to one or more of the Four Pillars of Dalhousie’s Diversity and Inclusiveness Strategy.
1. Climate and Intergroup Relations
-Promotes a welcoming, respectful and inclusive learning or working environment on campus
-Increases EDI outreach, collaboration, parterships and learning programs to initiate and strengthen relations with communities, including through community service
2. Student Access and Success
-Improves educational equity and access to academic programs for historically underrepresented or underserved students
3. Education and Research
-Improves teaching or research about equity, diversity and inclusiveness in any academic discipline or across disciplines
4. Institutional Viability and Vitality (Structures)
-Improves recruitment or retention of historically underrepresented or underserved faculty and staff
-Improves University systems, structures, policies or practices to better support equity, diversity and inclusiveness
-Improves process for monitoring, assessing or reporting on equity, diversity and inclusiveness
Additional factors that may be considered in assessing nominated individuals and groups include, but are not limited to:
- Creativity and innovation in approach, design, collaboration, implementation of the EDI initiatives
- Positive outcomes in achieving greater equity and/or inclusiveness within the University or our local community
- Engagement of diverse people
- Tangible benefits to campus life
- Collaboration among campus units
Note: While all current faculty and staff are eligble for nomination, nominations for individuals or groups that occupy positions within the UNiversity where EDI activities form a regular part of their job duties must explain how the EDI efforts referred to in the nomination go "above and beyond" what would normally be expected of their role(s).
- Nomination forms are available from the President's Office or online here [PDF - 150kB]
- Nomination must include the Nomination Form and two supporting statements, one of which should be written by the nominator (between 250 and 1000 words each).
- Please email nomination packages to email@example.com or deliver to the President's Office in Room 231, 6299 South Street, Henry Hicks Building, Halifax.
The deadline for nominations is April 16, 2018. The Award will be presented by the President at Dalhousie's annual Legacy Awards Event in June.
Please contact Norma Williams, Executive Director of Diversity and Inclusiveness at firstname.lastname@example.org or (902) 494-2230