Please note that Publications are grouped by Theme and year, then in alphabetical order.
Indegenous Health and Well-being
- Bombay, A. (2015). A call towards eliminating mental health disparities faced by Indigenous Peoples. The Lancet Psychiatry, 2, 861-862.
- Richmond, C, Martin, D, Dean, L, Castleden, H, Marsden, N. (2013). Transformative networks: How ACADRE/NEAHR support for graduate students has impacted Aboriginal health research in Canada. Victoria, BC: Aboriginal Health Research Networks Secretariat.
Health of Marginalized Populations
- Nannozi, V., Wobudeya, E., Kibirige, L., & Gahagan, J. (2016). Fear of an HIV positive test result: An exploration of the low uptake of couples HIV counseling and testing (CHCT) in rural Uganda. Global Health Promotion. pii: 1757975916635079.
- Nandi, A., Hajizadeh, M., Harper, S., Koski, A., Strumpf, E. & Heymann, J. (2016). Increased duration of paid maternity leave lowers infant mortality in low- and middle-income countries: a quasi-experimental study. PLoS Medicine, 13(3), 1-18.
- Gazso, A., MacDaniel, S. & Waldron, I. (2016). Networks of social support to manage poverty: More changeable than durable, Journal of Poverty, 1-24.
- Andrée, P., Langille, L., Clément, C., Williams, PL.,Norgang, E. (2016). Structural constraints and enablers to community food security in Nova Scotia, Canada. J Hunger Environ Nutr. doi: 10.1080/19320248.2016.1157547.
- Hare, K., Dube, A., Marshall, Z., Gahagan, J., Harris, G., Tucker, M., Dykeman, M. & MacDonald, J.(2016). Troubling the boundaries: Overcoming methodological challenges in a multi-sectoral and multi-jurisdictional HIV/HCV policy scoping review. Evidence and Policy: A Journal of Research, Debate and Practice.12(2), 217-233.
- Gahagan, J. & Colpitts, E.(2016). Understanding and measuring LGBTQ pathways to health: The importance of strengths-based approaches in LGBTQ health research. Journal of homosexuality.doi: 10.1186/s12939-016-0349-1.
- Hajizadeh, M., Heymann, J., Strumpf, E., Harper, S., & Nandi, A. (2015). Paid maternity leave and childhood vaccination uptake: Longitudinal evidence from 20 low-and-middle-income countries. Social Science & Medicine, 140, 104-117.
- Jackson, L, Buxton, J, Dingwell, J, Dykeman, M, Gahagan, J, Gallant, K, Karabanow, J, Kirkland, S, LeVangie, D, Sketris, T, Gossop, M, Davison, C (2014). Improving health and employment outcomes for individuals receiving methadone treatment: A realist synthesis of what makes interventions work. BMC Psychology, 2:26. Available through open access.
- Gagliardi, AR., Berta, W., Kothari, A., Boyko, J., Urquhart, R. (2016). Integrated Knowledge Translation (IKT) in health care: a scoping review. Implementation Science, 11(38).
- McIsaac, J.L.D., Hernandez, K., Kirk, S.F.L., Curran, J. (2016). Intervention functions to support the implementation of health promoting schools: A scoping review. International Journal of Environmental Research in Public Health, 13(2), 200.
- Urquhart, R., Jackson, L., Sargeant, J., Porter, G. & Grunfeld, E. (2015). Health system-level factors influence the implementation of complex innovations in cancer care. Health Care Policy. 11(2), 102-118.
- McIsaac, J.L.D., Mumtaz Z., Veugelers, P.J., Kirk, S.F.L. (2015). Providing context to the implementation of Health Promoting Schools: A Case Study. Evaluation and Program Planning, 53, 65-71.
Youth and Healthy Aging
- Skinner K., Burnett K., Williams P., Martin D., Stothart, C., Leblanc J., Veeraraghavan G., Sheedy A. (2016). Challenges in assessing food environments in northern and remote communities in Canada. Can J Public Health, 107(1): eS60-eS63. doi: 10.17269/CJPH.107.5324.
- Balish, SM., Deaner, R., Rathwell , S., Rainham, DG., Blanchard, CM. (2016). Gender equality predicts leisure-time physical activity: Benefits for both sexes across 34 countries. Cogent Psychology 3, 1174183. dx.doi.org/10.1080/23311908.2016.1174183.
- Beck, K., Weeks, L.E., Montelpare, W., & MacDonald, D. (2016/05 on-line). Identifying important factors for older adults’ physical activity participation across individual/group, structured/unstructured contexts. European Journal of Ageing. 1-10. doi: 10.1007/s10433-016-0376-1.
- Witcher, C., Holt, N.L., Young, W., Blanchard, C.M., Murnaghan, D., & Spence, J.C. (2016). Physical activity perceptions and influences among older adults in rural Nova Scotia. Canadian Journal on Aging, 35(1), 115-119.
- Muscedere, J., Andrew, MK., Bagshaw, S.M., Estabrooks, C., Hogan, D., Holroyd-Leduc, J., Howlett, S., Lahey, W., Maxwell, C., McNally,M., et al. (2016). Screening for Frailty in Canada's Health Care System: A Time for Action. Canadian Journal on Aging. ePub: 1-17.
- Weeks, LE., MacQuarrie, C., Begley, L., Gill, C. LeBlanc, K D. (2016). Strengthening resources for midlife and older rural women who experience intimate partner violence. Journal of Women and Aging, 28(1), 46-57. doi: 10.1080/08952841.2014.950500.
- Weeks, L E., Macdonald, M., Helwig, M., & Bishop, A., Martin-Misener, R., Iduye, D. (2016). The impact of transitional care programs on health services utilization among community-dwelling older adults and their caregivers: A systematic review protocol of quantitative evidence. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 14(3), 26-34. doi: 10.11124/JBISRIR-2016-2568.
- Kontak, J., McIsaac, J.L.D., Penney TL., Kuhle S., Kirk S.F.L. (2016) The picture of health: Examining school-based health environments through photographs. Health Promotion International, 1-9. doi: 10.1093/heapro/daw027.
- Hajizadeh, M. & Nandi, A. (2016). The socioeconomic gradient of secondhand smoke exposure in children: Evidence from 26 low-income and middle-income countries. Tobacco Control, 0, 1–10.
- Prince, S., Reed, J.L., Mark, A., Blanchard, C.M., Grace, S., & Reid, R. (2015). A comparison of cut-points for the ActiGraph GT3X accelerometer among individuals with coronary artery disease. PLOS ONE, 10(9), 1-12.
- Witcher, C., McGannon, K., Hernandez, P., Dechman, G., Ferrier, S., Spence, J.C., Rhodes, R.E., & Blanchard, C.M. (2015). A qualitative exploration of exercise among pulmonary rehabilitation patients: Insight from multiple perspectives. Respiratory Medicine, 60(11), 1624-34.
- Balish, S., Rainham, D.,& Blanchard, C.M. (2015). Community size and sport participation across 22 countries. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 25(6), e576-81.
- Marzolini, S., Blanchard, C.M., Alter, D., Grace, S., & Oh, P. (2015). Delays in referral and enrolment are associated with mitigated benefits of cardiac rehabilitation after coronary artery bypass surgery. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, 8(6), 608-20.
- Weeks, L.E., Bryanton, O., McInnis-Perry, G., & Chaulk, P. (2015). Developing a peer educator program to raise awareness about elder abuse. Journal of Peer Learning, 8, 34-47. http://ro.uow.edu.au/ajpl/vol8/iss1/5/.
- Katapally T., Muhajarine N., Rainham D.G. (2015). Factoring in weather variation to capture the influence of urban design and built environment on globally recommended levels of moderate to vigorous physical activity in children. BMJ Open, 5:e009045 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-009045.
- Quinlan, A., Rhodes, R., Blanchard, C.M., Naylor, P.J., & Warburton, D. (2015). Family planning to promote physical activity: A randomized controlled trial protocol. BMC Public Health, 5 (15), 1-8.
- Larsen, K., Cook, B., Stone, M.R., Faulkner, G.E. (2015/11). Food access and children’s BMI in Toronto, Ontario: assessing how the food environment relates to overweight and obesity.International Journal of Public Health, 60(1), 69-77. doi: 10.1007/s00038-014-0620-4.
- McNally M., Lahey W. (2015). Frailty’s Place in Ethics and Law: Some thoughts on equality and autonomy and on limits and possibilities for aging citizens. Interdisciplinary Top GerontolGeriatr. 41, 174-85.
- Poirier A., Dodds L., Dummer T., Rainham, D.G., Maguir, B., Johnson, M. (2015). Maternal exposure to air pollution and adverse birth outcomes in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 57(12), 1291-98.
- Kuhle, S., Doucette, R., Piccinini-Vallis, H., Kirk, S.F.L. (2015). Successful childhood obesity management in primary care in Canada: What are the odds? Peer J, 3, 1327, https://peerj.com/articles/1327/.
- McIsaac, J.L.D., Kirk S.F.L., Kuhle S. (2015). The association between health behaviors and academic performance in Canadian elementary school students: a cross-sectional study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12(11), 14857-14871; doi:10.3390/ijerph121114857.
- Weeks, L.E., Stadnyk, R., Begley, L, & MacDonald, D.J. (2015). The influence of driving status on transportation challenges experienced by older adults. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 34(4), 501-517. doi: 10.1177/0733464813487255.
- Kuhle, S., Ghotra, S., McIsaac, J.L.D., Kirk, S.F.L. (2015). Validation of the "Quality of Life in School" instrument in Canadian elementary school students. PeerJ, 4, 1567. https://peerj.com/articles/1567.pdf.
- Weeks, L.E., Villeneuve, M. A., Hutchinson, S., Roger, K., Versnel, J., & Packer, T. (2015). What we learned about mentoring research assistants employed in a complex mixed-methods health study. Canadian Journal of Higher Education, 45(4), 207-228.
- Grant, JL. & Gregory, W. (2015/12). Who lives downtown? Neighbourhood change in central Halifax, 1951 to 2011. International Planning Studies 21(2), 176-190. DOI: 10.1080/13563475.2015.1115340.
- Shearer, C, Rainham, D, Blanchard, C, Dummer T. (2014). Measuring food availability and accessibility among adolescents: Moving beyond the neighbourhood boundary. Social Science & Medicine. Volume 133, May 2015, Pages 322–330