In a review of the University’s policies and processes, Dalhousie University has developed a Spending Authority Policy for Research Funds to ensure compliance with current internal control, accountability standards and Federal research granting councils. The report structure of Dalhousie’s financial system has been the basis of the Spending Authority Policy for Research Funds plus the additional benefit of delegation of spending authority. The following is general information required to ensure compliance to the policy:
1. Unit Authorities (Researcher) can delegate $5,000 spending authority to an individual payrolled through Dalhousie University. This delegation is done through Web for Administrators. Please review the instructions on how to delegate spending authority for $5,000 and under.
2. A Unit Authority (Researcher) may delegate “Maximum” spending authority to their next reporting level of authority (eg. Dean, Department Head or Chair). Please review the instructions on how to delegate "Maximum" Spending Authority through Web for Administrators.
3. Specimen signatures of all Unit Authorities and Delegates are required for audit purposes and must be received before spending approval begins.
4. The Unit Authority is responsible for the adding or revoking of the Spending Authority role in Web for Administrators. Note that spending authority should be revoked as soon as a delegate is no longer eligible (eg. a research assistant no longer works for a researcher).
There is an annual review process done in November to confirm everyone with access still requires it for another year.
5. An oracle id is required for individuals being delegated the spending role. If the delegate does not have an oracle id and email should be sent to Finweb@dal.ca requesting one to be created including the individual’s name and Dalhousie ID. When the oracle id has been completed you will be notified to continue with the delegation process in Web for Administrator.
Please review the Spending Authority for Research Funds Policy.