Dalhousie Thermal Plant Renewal Project
Dalhousie’s 40-year old heating plant is at capacity. The university must replace existing equipment or invest in a new system capable of generating enough heating and cooling to meet the demands of a growing campus.
The Thermal Plant Renewal project will move forward only with the approval of Dalhousie’s Board of Governors.
Guiding principles for the project
· Create a cost-efficient and reliable source of heating, electrical, and cooling with appropriate redundancy
· Increase energy/water efficiency
· Improve energy security
· Reduce air quality contaminants and GHGs
· Be a sustainability and community leader
· Optimize use of debt within the university’s capacity