Dal Terms, Acronyms and Spelling
Common terms used at Dal:
- advisor, not adviser
- counsellor, not counselor
- catalogue, not catalog
- class work, not classwork
- coursework, not course work
- DalCard (no space, capital C)
- enrolment, not enrollment
- fundraising, not fund-raising
- full-time, half-time, and part-time are hyphenated
- honour with a ‘u,’ but honorary without
- log on, login
- non-credit, not noncredit
- non-degree, not nondegree
- non-profit, not nonprofit
- per cent, not percent
- program, not programme
- underway, not under way
- university-wide, campus-wide, city-wide, province-wide, but nationwide
- vice-president, vice-provost, vice-chancellor, vice-chair
- well-being – hyphenate always
- web, website, webmaster, home page, Internet
When describing Dalhousie graduates, alumni is the preferred plural form; only use alumnae (the feminine form) in historical reference. For a male individual, use alumnus. For a female individual, use alumna.
- John Smith is a Dalhousie alumnus.
- Jane Doe is a Dalhousie alumna.
- John Smith and Jane Doe are Dalhousie alumni.
- alum: an acceptable shortform of alumni
- The Dalhousie Tigers (formal)
- Dal Tigers (casual)
- The Tigers
- Tigers hockey
- Convocate is not a verb. Students graduate from the university at a ceremony called convocation.
- A graduand is one about to receive a university degree.
- A graduate is one who has received a university degree.
- Spell out all acronyms on first reference and include the acronym in parentheses following the name. Afterwards, you can just use the acronym on the same page.
- Do not assume that a reader understands an acronym that was featured earlier in a document or website. Readers may be scanning, skipping or—in the case of online—accessing the content through a number of different entry points (web search, links, etc.).
Acronyms commonly used at Dal:
- BSAC - Black Student Advising Centre
- CS - Computer Science
- CSC - Career Services Centre
- DSES - Dalhousie Student Exchange Services
- DSU - Dalhousie Student Union
- FASS - Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- ISD - International Students at Dal
- LSC - Life Sciences Centre
- OTN - Ocean Tracking Network
- SUB - Student Union Building
- RO - Registrar's Office
*Note: It is strongly recommended the above terms always be spelled out.
Canada spells it:
- centre, centred, centring
- cheque (as a method of payment)
- sulfur (scientific standard spelling)
- grey (colour)
- practice (as a noun or adjective) and practise (as a verb)
E.g. vs. i.e.
- The abbreviation for exempli gratia is e.g., but it should be avoided. Use "for example" instead.
- Use "that is" instead of i.e.
- Use the vs. abbreviation for versus only in sports schedules and the names of court cases.