COVID Updates» Go to news main
Information for International Students and Faculty
To: Dalhousie students, faculty and staff
From: Deep Saini, President & Vice-Chancellor
Date: Saturday, March 21, 2020
Re: COVID-19 update #8: Change to immigration measures to help international students and faculty announced by Government of Canada
We understand this is a trying time and we are writing today to share a bit of positive news that will benefit international students and faculty at Dalhousie and other post-secondary institutions in Canada.
Late yesterday, the Government of Canada announced that it will be making a number of important exemptions to travel restrictions. These exemptions have special importance for international students and faculty.
The Government of Canada's immigration measures now include exemptions for the below criteria to allow entry back into Canada:
• international students who held a valid study permit or had been approved for study permit, when the travel restrictions took effect on March 18
• permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, but who had not yet travelled to Canada
The government is advising that those who are affected by these exemptions should not try to travel to Canada immediately. A further government announcement will be made early next week when the exemptions are in place.
Please note that health screening protocols will be followed before travel and all individuals entering into the country from abroad will be required to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival.
Read the government’s full announcement here.
We hope that this announcement helps to ease the uncertainty for those international students or faculty in the middle of their work, course of study or who have been approved to study but who were abroad when the travel restrictions went into effect.
As a reminder, Dalhousie’s International Centre is open today Saturday, March 21 until 6 p.m. and re-opens Monday at 8:30 a.m.
These are extraordinary times and I’m so thankful to the Dalhousie community and beyond for continuing to be resourceful, compassionate and supportive.
Take care, be safe and stay healthy.
- Mask requirements extended to June 10; Campus Check program suspended as of May 1
- Clarification of COVID‑19 restrictions
- Reminder: Campus mask protocols remain in place until April 30
- Important updates on masks, vaccination requirements and more
- Welcome back to campus
- Plan for return to in‑person learning, masks, residence and more
- Extension of online learning to Jan 28, extension of residence closure, testing changes and more
- COVID update: Online start to winter term