COVID Updates» Go to news main
Message from President Saini
To: Dalhousie students, faculty and staff
From: Deep Saini, President and Vice-Chancellor
Date: Thursday, March 19, 2020
Re: A message from President Deep Saini
Dear Dalhousie community,
Late yesterday we learned of a presumptive positive COVID-19 case connected with the Dalhousie community. If you have NOT been contacted directly by Public Health, you are not considered to have been exposed. Respecting both privacy and public health matters, that is as much information as we can share broadly. We wish to share support and thank this individual for taking the proper, proactive steps to minimize transmission.
Nova Scotia Public Health monitors anyone who is confirmed with COVID-19 and provides advice on what people can do to minimize transmission and take care of themselves. We have no indication of any case within our residence locations. The health and safety of our community is top priority. Public Health has already been in contact with individuals that may be affected through contact tracing and provided instructions to self-isolate. Again, if you have not been contacted directly by Public Health, you are not considered to have been exposed. As a matter of process, Public Health takes the following actions:
- Consults with the individual to understand contact points and directs the individual to self-isolate for 14 days.
- Contacts those who were in close proximity with the individual to inform them of the potential connection and that they should also self-isolate for 14 days.
- Recommends that those contacted continue to monitor their health for symptoms and take appropriate action if concerns arise by calling 811 for assessment.
I recognize the anxiety and uncertainty that this news creates for members of our community. This reinforces the importance of looking after ourselves and “flattening the curve”: reducing contact with other people (“social distancing”), practising good hygiene and other measures that help slow the spread of the virus. Most of all, be supportive and understanding of one another as we work through this difficult time for our university and broader community.
I acknowledge that we do not have all the answers. I appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through this unprecedented situation. We will be reassessing the situation ongoing while continuing to provide communication updates as they become available. Please monitor your health, and that of others within your family, and take appropriate action if required. Visit novascotia.ca/coronavirus/ should you have concerns.
Please continue to check your university email regularly in the days and weeks ahead. We will continue to share updates through our dal.ca/coronavirus webpage and Dalhousie social media channels.
Take precautions. Be compassionate. And together we will get through this.
President and Vice-Chancellor
- COVID protocols for winter term: Mask requirements continue in classes
- COVID‑19 guidelines and supports for residence students
- COVID‑19 procedures and protocols for Fall 2022
- Changes to mask guidance as of June 10
- Mask requirements extended to June 10; Campus Check program suspended as of May 1
- Clarification of COVID‑19 restrictions
- Reminder: Campus mask protocols remain in place until April 30
- Important updates on masks, vaccination requirements and more