University travel

All university-funded travel is suspended until December 31, 2020
 for cost-saving purposes.   

  • International travel by faculty, staff and students continues to be restricted until August 31. Global Affairs Canada continues to advise avoiding all non-essential travel outside of Canada. Foreign governments have implemented strict travel restrictions, there are few international travel options available, and movement restrictions can occur without warning.
  • Those who wish to travel internationally using their research funds or DFA funds must request an exemption to this restriction in writing to their Dean. This request must explain why international travel is essential and include a robust risk assessment and safety plan. Exemptions must be approved by the Dean, the Provost and Vice-President Academic, and the Vice-President Research and Innovation.

    Please note that Dalhousie’s travel health insurer, SSQ, will not cover any COVID-19 related expenses. Essential to any request for an exemption will be proof of alternate travel health insurance which covers COVID-19 expenses. Dalhousie will not cover any COVID-19 expenses related to international travel.
  • All travelers returning to Nova Scotia are required to self-isolate for 14 days, except for those travelling within the Atlantic bubble (Newfoundland & Labrador, Prince Edward Island or New Brunswick) While domestic travel using research funds is now permitted, be advised that travel plans can still be interrupted without warning.