Student Affairs Communications
We work with Student Affairs units and other campus stakeholders to provide strategic communications planning, delivery, and evaluation efforts for incoming and current Dalhousie students. Our team engages with students through traditional communication, social media, web, mobile platforms, and emerging channels. In addition to accessing the team and channels described below, we are also available to consult in communications planning and give advice, support, and recommendations.
Channels & Support
Student-focused events can now be submitted to the main Dalhousie Events Calendar (events.dal.ca). Submit your events here and make sure you click the "Current students" box as your audience.
Truro events can be submitted to the campus-wide Truro events calendar by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (Stephanie)
Social media support
Email email@example.com with your social media posting requests.
Social Media Channels
- Instagram: Dal Student Life
- Facebook Page: Dal Student Life
- Facebook Page: Dalhousie Sexton Campus
- Twitter: Dal Student Life
Additional Channels in Student Affairs
Dal Student Life
The Dal Student Life Hub explores all facets of the student experience. It's all about content that's for students, created by students.
Have an idea for content or know a student who wants to be a guest contributor? Pitch your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To be added to the mailing list for the Dal Student Life newsletters, or to submit content requests, email email@example.com.
- To be added to the mailing list for the International Centre, Black Student Advising Centre, or Indigenous Student Centre newsletters, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FYI (emails that we are aware of!)
|Dal Student Life||All current students||TBD|
(created by DSU; distributed by Student Affairs C&M)
|All current students||TBD|
|Dal News Weekly
(created and distributed by Dalhousie CMC)
|Faculty, staff & students||Weekly on Thursday|
|Black Student Advising Centre monthly newsletter (created & distributed by BSAC)||Students of African descent on the Halifax Campus||Last Thursday of every month|
|Indigenous Student Centre monthly newsletter (created & distributed by ISC)||Indigenous students on the Halifax Campus||Last Thursday of every month|
|International Centre monthly newsletter
(created & distributed by International Centre)
|International students on the Halifax Campus||First Thursday of every month|
|Dalplex member newsletter
(created & distributed by Athletics & Recreation)
|Dalplex members & students who opt in||Last Monday of every month|
Access to photographs
- Request access to the Dal Student Life Flickr Account (photographs of student events, campus buildings and stock photos by our Student Life Street Team) by emailing email@example.com.
Booking a photographer
- Request a Student Life Street Team photographer at your event using the student events submission form under the "notes" section.
- You can also book a professional photo shoot with Dal Photography Services.
- Work through this creative brief to assess your communications needs (we can help you with this!)
- Submit your print material idea/request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remember, we adhere to the Dalhousie brand (here's the brand guide and toolkit)
Note: requests will be prioritized due to limited resources (there's one Jo and a lot of units to support!)
- Alternatively, you can submit your print material request to Dalhousie Design Services
Additional channels on the Halifax campus
- Drop off your posters (quantity: 40) to the front desk of the Student Accessibility Centre in Room G28 in the Killam Library Atrium by noon on Mondays for weekly distribution on Studley, Carleton, and Sexton campuses. Posters should be 8.5x11 or 8.5X14 in size.
- Create and save your images as JPEG or PNG files (1366x768 pixels, RGB)
- Email your screens to email@example.com to be uploaded within 48 hours (excluding weekends)
Note: You can also submit videos but they must be less than 30 seconds and have no sound (captioning is fine). Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about accepted formats.
Digital screen locations
- Bissett Student Success Centre
- International Centre
- Student Health & Wellness Centre
- Residences across campus (coordianted with the Residence Life)
- Dalplex (coordinated with Athletics & Recreation)
- Student Union Building
- Rowe Building
Street team assistance
How the Street Team can help you
- take photographs at events
- create content related to your student audience
How to access the Street Team
- Email email@example.com
- Include the request in the "notes" section of your event submission at dal.ca/studentevents
Channels & support outside Student Affairs
- Submit your story to Today@Dal (faculty/staff audience)
- Submit your event to the Dal Events Calendar
- Reach out to relevant student societies
- Reach out to relevant communications officers across campus