Recommendations and New Activities
Recommendations for 2019–20:
- Use the framework structure to identify and share current and potential Dalhousie activities that align with PEP-AH strategic areas and recommendations to support alcohol harm reduction among students.
- Share the DAHR Strategy as web content (dal.ca) rather than a static document, ensuring transparency, accessibility and opportunities to connect supporting documents, resources and other alcohol-related student content.
- Continue to participate in and use NCHA (or equivalent) data as a benchmark to measure the previously mentioned objectives around binge drinking and use of protective strategies.
- Continue to build and further establish relationships with organizations and individuals that align with alcohol harm reduction (Dalhousie and external community).
- Operationalize and evaluate the DAHR Strategy through Student Affairs Health Promotion Office.
- Introduce new initiatives that address the three levels of the social ecological model:
- Individual approaches: create opportunities and introduce expectancy challenge interventions and/or brief motivational interview.
- Environmental approaches: conduct a feasibility study around creating and introducing a designated alcohol-free residence space or building.
- System approaches: implement a bystander intervention program and/or advocate and contribute to academic research supporting the Municipal Alcohol Policy and a shift in the provincial culture of heavy drinking to one of moderation.