Pricing of Alcohol
The PEP-AH framework identifies the following high-level recommendations:
- Regulate price promotions, discount sales and flat rates for unlimited drinking or other types of volume sales
- Establish minimum prices for the sale of alcohol beverages
- Provide price incentives for lower-strength and non-alcoholic beverages
The framework suggests the following initiatives:
- Regulate "last calls"
- Regulate "happy hours,” "ladies nights," etc.
- Regulate the number of drinks that can be purchased by patrons at one time
- Regulate the size of drink containers to reflect standard drink sizes
- Implement maximum serving sizes that can be served to patrons in one drink
- Create price incentives for lower-alcohol-strength products
- Ensure that non-alcoholic beverages are always available and less expensive than alcoholic beverages
Dalhousie supports these recommendations and initiatives by:
- Regulating all Dalhousie licensed establishments and through Dalhousie Bar Services and Dalhousie’s Alcohol Policy