Rules for the sale and consumption of alcohol on campus
Dalhousie University supports responsible choices involving alcohol. We all have a responsibility regarding our consumption to help minimize risk.
Dalhousie takes a harm reduction approach to alcohol, recognizing that some of our student population drink alcohol. Follow Canada's Low Risk Drinking Guidelines to reduce your risks.
You may have heard that drinking is "just part of the university experience"… But it’s ok to question drinking culture to make an informed choice!
If you choose to drink alcohol, here are some tips for sensible drinking:
- Avoid mixing alcohol with other substances
- Know your limits
- Eat food before and while you drink
- Sip your drink, 1 standard drink per hour
- Skip a drink now and then, alternate alcoholic drinks with non-alcoholic drinks or water your drink down
- Cultivate taste—choose quality over quantity
- Only consume drinks you opened or mixed yourself
- Appoint a designated driver, sober friend or safe ride home
- Use alcohol carefully in connection with medications
- Respect those who don't want to drink, do not pressure friends to drink
- Have at least 3 non-drinking days a week
If you feel that you, or someone you're with, have drank too much alcohol, call for help.
- If your emergency is on-campus, call Dal Security at 902-494-6400
- If your emergency is off-campus, call 911
You can also download the DalSafe App to chat with security when concerned about a friend or get a safe walk home! You can download the DalSafe App for free through the App Store on your mobile device.
Dalhousie's policy on alcohol
The Alcohol Policy is a tool to support groups and individuals on campus who wish to host events or participate in events where alcohol will be served. We each have an individual obligation to use alcohol legally and responsibly, but the university can take appropriate action against anyone whose actions adversely affect Dalhousie activities or are inconsistent with the policy. Please read the policy to ensure you’re aware of restrictions and supports on campus.
The following are a few key expectations regarding alcohol as outlined in the Alcohol Policy:
Advertising of events that emphasize excessive or inappropriate alcohol consumption, or which refer to the price or cost of alcohol, will not be allowed on campus.
The university does not approve of pub crawls, and their organization or promotion on campus is not permitted.
View Frequently Asked Questions regarding Dal's Alcohol Policy.
If you need help
Email email@example.com for assistance if you're having trouble with alcohol or want more information on drinking responsibly.