Return to Residence
We'd love to have you back! Application now open.
Residence is great the first year, but did you know you can come back? In fact, if you re-apply by March 4, 2019, you can keep your room or get your first pick of another residence. We've got lots of options in Halifax and Truro!
To learn more about the variety of residence options available at Dal, watch our residence videos.
Apply online at Dal Online: log in, select Web for Students and then choose Residence Application. There's a $50 application fee, which you can pay through the online application.
- Rooms are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Some residences fill fast. Apply early to avoid disappointment.
- You must be in good academic standing to return to residence.
Can I request my current room for next year?
Yes, but you have to complete your application process by the deadline. Returning resident requests are processed before new students are assigned rooms.
How are roommates assigned?
Unless you specify someone you’d like to share a room with, we will do our best to match you with someone based on your responses in your residence application. The three questions asked in the application regard sports, music and the time you typically go to bed. For instance, if you like to stay up past 11pm, we will do our best to match you with someone who also goes to bed after 11pm. We will also try to match up roommates based on their academic program, age and interests (e.g. sports, music).
What if I want to request a different room?
No problem. As long as the student who already has that room hasn't requested to keep it the following year. You must also complete your application process in full by the deadline.
Other things you should know
- Summer storage is available for returning residence students but space is limited so contact your front desk (for Halifax campuses) or your RA or Residence Life Manager (for Truro campus) early.
- Returning students move in to residence after the new student move-in date. See Important Dates & Deadlines for dates.
- Residence agreements are for eight months. If you will be on a co-op placement or other university-related absence, contact the Residence Office to learn more about your options.