Programs and Activities
Just for the fun of it
Residence experiences are a great opportunity for personal growth, developing leadership abilities, working within groups, and making friends. Programs and activities offer you a chance to socialize and meet new people, achieve your academic potential, contribute, and learn about yourself and the greater communities around you. These are just a few of our signature events to watch for:
- Community Day – an introduction to volunteering in Halifax
- Think Pink – October is Think Pink Month in Shirreff Hall, where residents raise money for breast cancer research while holding fun events all month long
- Residence Charity Face-Off – our annual hockey game celebrates internal rivalries while raising money for a great cause – the IWK Children’s Hospital
- Ecolympics – a two-week energy and water conservation competition is a fun way to educate students on how to live more sustainably
We also know the people you meet in res can become lifelong friends. Residence Assistants (RAs) are always organizing great floor events tailored to your community’s interests so you can meet people and socialize in a healthy and safe atmosphere.
Great ideas wanted!
You not only have the opportunity to participate in events, but can also play a role in their planning and execution. Your residence life staff will be looking for your help, involvement and ideas to make your residence experience the best it can be. If you have an idea for an event or activity in residence, please contact the Residence Life Manager or the Student Life Administrator for guidance and support.
Leadership and involvement
There are a ton of ways to get involved in your residence community, make a difference and develop your leadership skills.
- Each building has Residence Councils comprised of elected students who are responsible to represent their peers, run events, and much more. There are numerous positions available on council for almost any interest.
- The Green Residence Forum is a group open to students living in any building who are interested in living more sustainably in residence. This group is also the main organizing body of Ecolympics.
- If you’re interested in sticking around residence for another year, consider joining our Residence Life Staff as an RA—it’s a pretty cool gig, if we do say so.