Checking In and Out of Residence
What you need to know
Room check-in process
One of the most exciting parts of arriving at Dal is checking into your residence. For many of you, this is the first time you’ll be seeing your new living space. Each residence has its own unique check-in process. These are found under the Moving In page, and are also available under the online Before You Arrive module. A link to that will be sent to your Dal email in early July.
Room check-out process: December holiday break
You are required to temporarily leave residence within 24 hours after your last exam in December to ensure a quiet environment for students studying for their exams.
You can leave things in your room over the break, but be sure to take what you need with you such as any medication and travel documents.
Residence staff conduct room inspections after you leave to confirm that everything is unplugged, garbage is emptied and windows are closed. More information on this process can be found under During the Holidays and is also sent to your Dal email in late fall.
- Are you permanently moving out of residence in December? If so, please visit the Dal Residence office to complete your paperwork and close your account.
Room check-out process: April
Checking out at the end of the school year should be as easy as when you checked into your room. You need to move out of your residence room within 24 hours of your last exam in April. This will keep the residence quiet for others to study. If your exam is on the last day, you need to move out of your room by noon the following day.
When you move out, you need to:
- make sure that your room is clean and that any garbage has been removed
- get rid of unwanted clothing, furniture, electronics and household items by taking them to a drop-off location for donation
- double check that all original furniture and fixtures from the room are present and in the same condition they were when you checked in
- arrange for a Residence Assistant (RA) to inspect your room
- return your keys to the appropriate front desk (when moving out, you can’t leave keys in your room or with any other resident)
- check your mailbox
Avoid fines and penalties
It’s important to follow the check-out procedures to avoid fines or penalties for the following situations:
- not following check-out procedures
- damaging any part of the room
- leaving a mess in your room or common areas
- having missing furniture or keys