Checking In and Out of Residence
What you need to know
Room check-in process
One of the most exciting parts of arriving at Dal is checking into your residence. For many of you, this is the first time you’ll be seeing your new living space. Each residence has its own unique check-in process.
December break check-out process
You are expected to temporarily leave the residence within 24 hours after your last exam in December to ensure a quiet environment for students studying for their exams.
You can leave things in your room over the break, but be sure to take what you need with you. Residence staff conduct room inspections after you leave to confirm that everything is unplugged, garbage is emptied and windows are closed. More information on this process will be provided to all residents in late fall. Be sure to check your Dal email for this information.
Room check-out process
Checking out at the end of the school year should be as easy as when you checked into your residence room. You need to move out of your residence room within 24 hours of your last exam in April. This will keep the residence quiet for others to study. If your exam is on the last day, you need to move out of your room by noon the following day.
When you move out, you need to:
- make sure that your room is clean and all garbage has been removed
- get rid of unwanted clothing, furniture, electronics and household items by taking them to a a drop-off location for donation
- double check that all original furniture and fixtures from the room are present and in the same condition they were when you checked in
- arrange for a Residence Assistant (RA) to inspect your room
- return your keys to your RA (when moving out, you can’t leave keys in your room or with any other resident)
Avoid fines and penalties
It’s important to follow the check-out procedures to avoid fines or penalties for the following situations:
- not following check-out procedures
- damaging any part of the room
- leaving a mess in your room or common areas
- having missing furniture or keys