Volunteer & Leadership
Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, do good work, and gain valuable experience. You can also add your volunteer work to your Co-Curricular Record (CCR), which acts as an additional transcript when you graduate for your extracurricular activities.
Every year the residences on our Halifax campuses partner with various community organizations for an afternoon of volunteer work. It's a great way to introduce all interested Dal students to the city and to the rewards of community engagement. Keep an eye out for more information on how to get involved.
Halifax students can get hands-on experience by registering with the DALConnects leadership certificate program. It allows you to build your skills through a combination of leadership development workshops and events, and helps set you up with community organizations for volunteer opportunities.
Sail Leadership Program
Truro students should check out the Student Advancement In Leadership (SAIL) program which helps you develop skills in areas such as career exploration, personal growth, communication, and leadership development while providing opportunities to volunteer in the community.
Dalhousie Student Union (DSU)
- Students Unite
- Sandbox Team
- Campus Community Garden
- Food Bank
The DSU also has opportunities for you to get involved in student activism and policy work by becoming a member of council, or simply helping out with some of the work they do to represent Dal students.
Truro Students: The AC Campus has the Dalhousie Agriculture Students' Association, which is the official organization of students on the Agricultural Campus. In addition to representing the students to the administration, they organize events, clubs, groups and committees to improve student life on the Agricultural Campus.
All members of the Dalhousie Agriculture Students' Association are automatically also members of the DSU.
Other volunteer opportunities on campus
There are a number of supportive communities on campus. You don't have to be a member to volunteer!
- Meet people from all over to world by volunteering with the International Centre
- Volunteer with Allies at Dal and help create an inclusive campus environment
- Work on woman-positive and community-building projects through volunteering with South House—Halifax's only full-time women's centre
- Are you an active biker or do you want to know more about biking? Volunteer with Dal Bike Centre to learn more yourself and help others learn
- Truro Students: Email Marg.Rovers@Dal.ca if you are interested in volunteering with the Writing Centre on campus.