Dal Alert!

Receive alerts from Dalhousie by text message.


For Dal Faculty and Staff

Want to start up a new exchange or study abroad agreement with another university, or do you need help managing an existing one? We’re here to help faculty and staff with international and exchange/study abroad program management.

Creating a new agreement

Departments and faculties are encouraged to pursue new agreements with their counterparts at universities abroad that create opportunities for Dalhousie students to take part in international experiences.


There are three categories of international programs: exchange, study abroad, and faculty-led.

Exchange programs involve a bilateral interchange of students

  • Dalhousie students pay fees for a full-time course load to Dalhousie and have their fees waived by their host institution.
  • Students register in a full-time course load at their host institution.
  • Administrators must ensure a balance in the number of inbound/outbound students who have participated in the program during the term of the agreement.
  • Agreements will specify whether they are 3 or 5 years in duration. The number of inbound and outbound students don't have to be equal each year, but must be equal over the duration of the agreement.

Study abroad programs are uni-directional agreements

  • Dalhousie students study at a partner university through this agreement and become full, fee-paying students when they attend the host institution.

Faculty-led programs

  • Faculty-led programs are special programs or courses with unique arrangements that fall outside of the category of Exchange or Study Abroad. They do not involve hosting inbound students at Dalhousie.
  • In most cases, a faculty member or administrator travels with the students who are participating in the program.
  • Students usually pay fees directly to Dalhousie.
  • Students register in Dalhousie classes that are intended for the faculty-led program.

The Study Abroad and Exchange Advisor (Outgoing Students) is happy to assist you with existing programs or help you plan a new program and related administration. Please email exchanges@dal.ca.

Please visit the International Relations website for more information about creating a new agreement.