Dal Alert!

Receive alerts from Dalhousie by text message.


Preparing to Graduate

Preparing for convocation

Inviting guests to attend your graduation

If you plan to invite family and friends from your home country to attend your convocation, you must write a letter of invitation to enable your visitor to get a temporary resident visa. 

You must make sure you send this letter to them at your earliest convenience to enable your visitor to apply for their temporary resident visa. Check the convocation website for convocation dates.


Staying in Canada

Becoming a Permanent Resident

If you plan to stay in Canada to live and work after graduating, you may want to apply for Permanent Residency. Although we are unable to assist you with Permanent Residency advising, we are pleased to offer a number of information sessions throughout the academic year, delivered by Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada, Nova Scotia Office of Immigration, and a local immigration law firm.

If you would like to apply for Permanent Residency while you are still a student, research your options on the Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Extending your stay

If you don't plan on staying in Canada for the long-haul, the Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) program allows you to stay in Canada for up to three years and work in any field.


Stay in touch!

Being an alumni

Dalhousie wants you to stay connected, even after graduation. Keep in touch with what is going on in the Dalhousie community and with old friends and classmates by joining the Dalhousie Alumni Association (DAA). The DAA offers services and benefits for alumni and holds events every year all over the world to help you stay connected with the Dalhousie community:

The DAA also helps you keep in touch with your graduating class by:

  • Planning class reunions
  • Hosting the Alumni Annual Dinner
  • Updates about events in your area