Building your skills among peers
Dalhousie Student Health & Wellness offers groups as a way for Dalhousie and King's students to build their confidence, self-improve and prepare for the demands of university life and beyond.
The hardest part about group therapy is often joining the group!
Eating Disorder Drop-In Group (Tuesdays 5-6:30pm)
When: Every Tuesday from 5-6:30pm. This group will run until Tuesday, April 23, 2019.
Where: Room 2304, Group Room 1 second floor Lemarchant Building
The Eating Disorder Drop-In Group is for students who are experiencing difficulties with eating in the form of:
- Restriction or anorexia nervosa
- Binging with or without purging or bulimia
- Compulsive eating
The focus of this group is to provide a safe setting, support self-defined change and to resolve underlying feelings.
Topics will be based on interests, needs and wishes of the participants on a weekly basis.
This group will be facilitated by Marriam Abou-el-Haj, Psychologist with Student Health & Wellness.
Enhancing Psychological Resilience: Skills Training Group
This four session counselling group will focus on four main coping skills found to enhance psychological well-being:
- Interpersonal effectiveness skills
- Emotion regulation skills
- Distress tolerance skills
These research-proven skills have helped people improve mental health through symptom reduction and increasing positive life functioning.
This group is a closed group – meaning students must sign up for the entire four-week program. Registration is required.
It will be co-facilitated by Joanne Mills, Psychologist with Student Health & Wellness at Dalhousie and Alissa Pencer, Psychologist, faculty member in the Clinical Psychology program at Dalhousie.
Enhancing Psychological Resilience has ended for the 2018-19 academic year. Please check back in September for new start dates.
Overcoming Anxiety: Skills Training Group
Group therapy for anxiety is an intervention that helps people face their fears to manage anxiety and increase positive life functioning.
This seven-session group will teach positive coping skills for overcoming anxiety. We will cover the following topics:
- Information about anxiety
- The connection between thoughts, behaviour, and feelings
- Challenging unrealistic thoughts that often fuel anxiety
- Facing and overcoming fears
This is a closed group, so you must sign up for the entire seven-week program. Registration is required.
Overcoming Anxeity has ended for the 2018-19 academic year. Please check back in September for new start dates.
Changeways for Depression Group
Changeways for Depression is an educational group therapy designed to introduce participants to basic psychological self-care concepts.
This six week group will provide participants with a variety of problem solving and lifestyle management skills, including:
- Knowing and recognizing the signs, symptoms, and causes of depression
- Identifying problems and transforming them into goals for change
- Breaking goals down into manageable steps
- The effects of diet, exercise, sleep habits, caffeine, and drugs and alcohol
- Identifying negative and self-defeating thought patterns
- Preventing mood problems from becoming unmanageable
- and more!
This is a closed group, so you must sign up for the entire six-week program. Registration is required.
Changeways for Depression has ended for the 2018-19 academic year. Please check back in September for new start dates.