Dal Alert!

Receive alerts from Dalhousie by text message.


Transferring Your Medical Records

Your medical record is a collection of information about vaccinations, hospital visits, prescribed medications, diagnoses, and any other medical information that your current or future doctor could need in relation to your health. 

Why should you transfer your medical records?

  • Continuity of care, especially for chronic illnesses
  • Past medical history that may affect current or new conditions
    (your own or within your family history)
  • Allergies
  • Drug interactions

What records should you bring or have transferred?

You often do not need to transfer your entire medical record, but some things that will be useful during your time at Dal are: 

  • Vaccination records
  • Records for chronic conditions (diabetes, ADHD*, depression, Crohns, etc.) that require medications and/or appointments with specialists
  • For females: last pap smear

*If you have a prescription for ADHD medications from another province, it will not be valid in Nova Scotia. You will need to make an appointment to receive a valid prescription. 

How do you transfer your records?

Request a copy of your records from your family doctor/provider 

You can request a copy of your medical records from your family doctor/provider and bring them to Student Health Services.

or Ask Dalhousie Student Health Services to request a transfer

You can make an appointment at Student Health Services where you will fill out and sign a form to be faxed to your family doctor/provider to have your records transferred. 

Note: Your family doctor will not have the records of the vaccines you received in school or at another clinic. To request school vaccine records, contact Public Health in the province you are from.