Dal After Dark
Dal After Dark is a program facilitated by Dal’s Student Life and Student Health & Wellness departments to provide Dalhousie and King’s students with an opportunity to host fun and interactive events open to all.
Grant Funding of up to $750 for alternative event programming is available for Dalhousie/King's students and student groups for events that meet the following Dal After Dark guidelines:
- The event will be alcohol-and substance-free.
- The event will not promote alcohol consumption or cannabis use in any way.
- Must be open to all Dalhousie/King’s students.
- Applications must be submitted by Sunday at 4pm (Atlantic Time) two weeks prior to the event date. Applications submitted after this deadline risk not being reviewed until the following week.
Grant Funding will be determined by a selection committee comprised of students and professional staff. The Selection Committee will review applications on Mondays two weeks in advance of the event date.
PLEASE NOTE: As the number of grants available is limited, you are encouraged to apply early to increase your chances of receiving funding.
Grant Application Process
The grant application process follows the following process:
Prior to the event
- Submit Grant Application (at least 2 weeks before event).
- Grant Application is reviewed by committee
- Following the review: the primary event organizer is contacted with either a notification of approval or follow up questions regarding the event.
- If clarification is needed, the application will be on hold until all concerns are addressed. The time frame of the approval process will then depend on the applicants' response time.
- Following Approval: once approved, you will be required to meet with a Dal After Dark member to further discuss the event and provide clarification on event funding, promotion, and support.
- As part of the grant approval email, you will be provided with a grant package that ought to be completed and returned within 10 days of the event.
After the event
- Reimbursement: within 10 days of the event you are required to provide the Dal After Dark team with:
- Any receipts, invoices, or event orders that require reimbursement.
- A completed grant package along with a summary of the event, photos, and sign in sheet.
- Debrief Meeting: a meeting will be set up to provide feedback regarding the event and Dal After Dark as a whole.
- This is also an opportunity to submit any receipts for reimbursement.
Please note that it is the responsibility of the primary event organizer to provide the Dal After Dark team with original receipts and sign in sheets in order to receive reimbursement for the event.
The Dal After Dark team can assist you with any questions prior to the event and provide support for event promotion and organization, however, it is not the responsibility of the Dal After Dark team or Grant Committee to remind you of any outstanding payments/reimbursements.
Funding for a Dal After Dark event is provided through reimbursements or invoice payments.
As a primary event organizer, you are required to provide the Dal After Dark Team with the invoices, event orders, or receipts for which you require funding within 10 days of the event.
Please note that Dal After Dark funding can be provided for the following expenses:
- Printing of Promotional Materials
- Room Bookings
- Professional Services (external)
- Other - on a case by case basis (confirmation required)
Dal After Dark funding will not fund events that provide alcohol, cannabis, or other substances.
Dalhousie Student Union and Dal After Dark
Societies that have received funding from the Dalhousie Student Union for events are still eligible to submit an application for Dal After Dark funding — please indicate that you have received additional funding on the application form.
- Societies may partner up to host events and submit applications for the same event.
- Societies can partner up with other organizations or societies from different universities to host an event are eligible for Dal After Dark funding as long as the event proposed still meets the Grant Application criteria.
- August 12: DMSA BBQ - Eid Al Adha
Dalhousie Univeristy Quad (Studley Campus)| 5 - 8 PM
- August 29: Campus Wide Capture the Flag
Dalhousie University Quad (Studley Campus) | 7 - 9 PM
- August 29: Boardgames Night
Dalhousie International Centre | 7 - 9 PM
- September 13: Archery Tag
Studley Gym | 7:30 - 10:30 PM
- September 13: Boardgames Night
Dalhousie International Centre | 7:30 - 10:30 PM
FOLLOW US TO FIND OUT ABOUT UPCOMING EVENTS!