Bounce Back is an 8-week support program offered in the winter term for first-year students in the Faculties of Agriculture, Arts and Social Sciences, and Science, who earned a fall term GPA of 2.3 or less.
Students who choose to participate in Bounce Back are matched with a Bounce Back advisor and a peer coach who will work together to identify strengths and areas for improvement for participants.
Participants will have one-hour biweekly meetings with their advisors and/or coaches, between January and March. Each session will focus on helping students to use their strengths and to develop the skills necessary for success at university.
Those who complete all aspects of the Bounce Back program (3 Bounce Back advisor appointments, peer coaching sessions, the Learning and Study Strategies Inventory, assigned modules) and have a winter term GPA of 2.0 or above will be entered in a draw to win one of five $500 tuition rebates redeemable in the following academic year.
Frequently Asked Questions
What will I do as part of the Bounce Back Program?
- You'll take the Learning and Study Strategies Inventory (LASSI), and work with your Bounce Back advisor on areas of improvement related to study skills and strategies (costs of the assessment are covered as part of program involvement)
- You'lll use the Brightspace environment to complete Study Skills modules (related to your individualized LASSI results)
- You'll learn how to identify your strengths and how to create SMART goals
Why should I register for Bounce Back?
- The Bounce Back program is based on research and evidence-based best practices on supports to assist students in being successful. By identifying strengths, working through individualized educational plans and identifying areas for improvement, Bounce Back will help put you on a path for success!
- Those who complete all aspects of the Bounce Back program (3 Bounce Back advisor appointments, peer coaching sessions, the Learning and Study Strategies Inventory, assigned modules, and have a winter semester term GPA of 2.0 or above) will be entered in a draw to win one of five $500 tuition rebates redeemable in the following academic year.
What is the time commitment of the program?
You will meet your Bounce Back advisor for one hour every two weeks for eight weeks. You'll also be required to complete assigned online modules as directed by your Bounce Back advisor and associated peer coaching sessions.
The average time commitment during this 8-week period is approximately two hours per week.
Is there a cost to participating?
The Bounce Back program is FREE to first year students in the Faculties of Agriculture, Arts and Social Sciences, and Science who had a fall term GPA of 2.3 or less.
Is there a deadline to participate?
In order to ensure you are able to meet all aspects of the Bounce Back program, you must register to participate by January 27. If you miss this deadline, you can email: email@example.com (on the Halifax Campus) or firstname.lastname@example.org (on the Agricultural Campus) to discuss this and other resources available to you.
Will I receive academic credit for participating in Bounce Back?
Bounce Back is not an academic program, and as such, you will not receive academic credit for your involvement with the program, and it will not appear on your transcript.
When will I know if I've won the $500 tuition rebate?
Drawing for the rebate will take place after all winter term marks are posted. All students will be contacted to let them know if they have completed the requirements to be entered into the draw, and once the draw has been completed.