Visa Requirements

What you need to study in Canada

You will need to apply for a study permit if you want to study in Canada for longer than six months and you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

International students from some countries may also need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) before coming to Canada. You can apply for the TRV at the same time as the study permit.

Get ready to apply

When you apply for a study permit, you will need to provide:

  • a valid passport
  • your Dalhousie acceptance letter
  • proof you have enough money to live and study in Canada
  • a letter from your sponsoring agency, if applicable
  • documents showing strong ties to your home country

You may need to do a personal interview and may have to pass a medical exam if you are from certain countries.
 For official and current information on requirements, please visit Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada. 

Tip: Apply early

Processing can take several months.


For more information and assistance with required immigration documents and other preparations, please contact an advisor at the International Centre.