Learn in the real world
In the fifth year of the Recreation Management program, our students spend 14 weeks on an internship. These are generally full-time placements during the final term; however, students may request to do the internship on a part-time basis over the entire school year.
Your internship can take place just about anywhere as long as both it and the organization fit under our internship guidelines and requirements. Lots of students stay local, but many have gone out of province and even to other countries.
Students attend an internship seminar to prepare them for what they will have to do. They find their own internships—with assistance from an internship coordinator at the School of Health and Human Performance—and are welcome to investigate agencies where students have been placed in the past or find new opportunities.
These are just some of the organizations where our students have completed their internships:
- Alberta Schools’ Athletic Association (Edmonton)
- American Hospitality Academy (various, USA)
- Canada Games Council (Ottawa, ON)
- Canadian Cerebral Palsy Sports Association (Ottawa)
- Canadian Sport Centre–Atlantic (Halifax, NS)
- Canadian Tourism Commission (Vancouver, BC)
- Events Halifax (Halifax)
- Fremantle Football Club (Fremantle, Australia)
- Global Spectrum Facility Management–WFCU Centre (Windsor, ON)
- Halifax Mooseheads Hockey Club (Halifax)
- IMG Canada Limited (Toronto, ON)
- Kansas City Chiefs Football Club (Kansas City, MO)
- Ontario Pioneer Camp (Port Sydney, ON)
- Ottawa Senators Hockey Club (Ottawa)
- Special Olympics Canada (Toronto)
- Toronto Marlies Hockey Club (Toronto)
- University of Queensland Sport (St. Lucia, Australia)
- Vancouver Olympic Games (Vancouver)
- Wilderness Inquiry (Minneapolis, MN)