Why choose Political Science at Dal?
When you enter the Political Science program at Dalhousie, you’re surrounded by Canadian political history. Halifax is home to Canada’s first elected assembly, the country’s oldest legislature building, and is the birthplace of responsible government in the British Empire.
Our tight-knit program gives students the opportunity to work closely with nationally recognized and award-winning faculty members in a small and hospitable setting.
While we excel in teaching the traditional subfields (international relations, Canadian politics, political theory, and comparative politics), our program is the best place in Canada to study marine issues from an interdisciplinary perspective (including security, environmental, legal, and historical dimensions).
For globally minded students, our department houses the European Union Centre of Excellence and the Centre for Foreign Policy Studies, which is involved with such international projects as the Roméo Dallaire Child Soldiers Initiative.
Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Major/Double Major (4 years)
- Honours/Combined Honours (4 years)
- Minor (3 years)
- Available as a second subject to BSc students
Required high school courses:
- Four additional university preparatory courses
Recommended high school courses:
- Political Science
See admission requirements for more information.
Application Deadline and Program Dates
Application deadlines for 2017/18
- March 1 - Deadline for scholarship consideration for fall semester
- April 1 - International students (except USA)
- June 1 - All Canadian and American applications
Other important program dates
- TBD (June) - Registration begins for new high school students
- TBD (September) - Classes begin, fall term
- TBD (December) - Exams begin
See complete list of important dates
- Classes in 1st and 2nd years range from 50-100 students
- 3rd-year (3000-level) classes range from 20-60 students
- 4th-year (4000-level) classes are capped between 20 and 25 students
Use our Fee Calculator to estimate the cost of a full year at Dalhousie.
Residence & Housing
Whether you're applying to one of our residence halls or you’re looking for help with an off-campus apartment search, Dalhousie’s Residence and Housing services can help.
- Meal plans
- Dorm-style traditional residences
- Apartment-style, non-traditional
- Off-campus housing