Why choose Italian at Dalhousie?
Learning to read and speak Italian provides you access to an important world culture. Classes examining literature and culture build on Italian language classes and open up a wide array of topics, from Dante's Inferno to Italy's regionalism and long tradition of resisting centralized power.
While modern Italy began emerging into its present-day form in the 19th century, the civilizations that preceded it exerted a strong influence on Western culture. Whether in religion, art, music, or science, Italy's past offers many keys to the present. Through its tradition of global exploration and entrepreneurial endeavors, Italy has played a significant role in world history. Today, it is one of the world's wealthiest democratic nations, and a leader in a variety of fields, including film, design, cuisine, and intellectual life.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc)
The Italian Studies minor program can be taken with either of the following:
- a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc) with a Major or Double Major, in one or two of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) or Faculty of Science disciplines (4 years)
- a BA or BSc with an Honours or Combined Honours in one or two of the FASS or Science disciplines (4 years)
See BA or BSc Admissions requirements.
Application Deadline and Program Dates
Application deadlines for 2016/17
- March 15 - Deadline for scholarship consideration for fall semester
- April 1 - International students (except USA)
- June 1 - All Canadian and American applications
Other important program dates
- June 11 - Registration begins for new high school students
- TBD (September) - Classes begin, fall term
- TBD (December) - Exams begin
See complete list of important dates
- Core classes have approximately 30 students
- Upper level classes are average between 5-15 students.
Use our Fee Calculator to estimate the cost of a full year at Dalhousie.
Residence & Housing
Whether you're applying to one of our residence halls or you’re looking for help with off-campus apartment search, Dalhousie’s Residence and Housing Services can help.
- Meal plans
- Dorm-style traditional residences
- Apartment-style, non-traditional
- Off-campus housing