In the fourth year of the Health Promotion program, our students spend 14 weeks on an internship. These are generally full-time placements during the final term; however, students may request to do the internship on a part-time basis over the entire school year.
During the internship, students carry out the day-to-day responsibilities of a health promoter in that organization. Students in the Research and Policy streams might assist with research projects already underway at an organization, or work with staff to develop further research projects, submit grants, or assist in writing research reports.
Students in the Community Health stream might work with organizational staff to develop and carry out programs of interest to the organization, to train volunteers, or to develop any other project the student, supervisor, and organization agree is useful to the organization and the student.
Location, location, location
The Internship can take place just about anywhere as long as the internship and organization fit under internship guidelines and requirements. Lots of students stay locally but many have gone out of province and even to other countries—our furthest internship so far took place in Africa.
Students attend an internship seminar in third year to prepare them for their placement. They find their own internships—with assistance from an internship coordinator at the School of Health and Human Performance—and are welcome to investigate agencies where students have been placed in the past or find new opportunities.
These are just some of the organizations where our students have completed their internships:
- IWK Health Centre (Halifax)
- AIDS Coalition of Nova Scotia (Halifax)
- Canadian Public Health Association (Ottawa)
- Multicultural Association of Nova Scotia (Halifax)
- Occupational Health and Safety, University of Victoria (Victoria, B.C.)
- Ministry of Education (St. Vincent and the Grenadines)
- UCLA/RAND Center for Adolescent Health Promotion (Los Angeles)
- Atlantic Centre of Excellence for Women’s Health (Halifax)
- Northern Lights Health Region (Fort McMurray, Alta.)
- Maritime Forces Atlantic (Halifax)
- McCaughey Centre: VicHealth Centre for the Promotion of Mental Health and Community Wellbeing (Melbourne, Australia)
- Western Health & Community Services (Corner Brook, N.L.)
- Ministry of Health, Republic of Botswana (Gaborone, Botswana)
- First Nations & Inuit Health Branch (Halifax)
- Grenfell Regional Health Services (St. Anthony, N.L.)
- Health and Social Services, Government of Northwest Territories (Yellowknife, N.W.T.)
- World Health Organization (Geneva, Switzerland)