Why choose European Studies at Dal?
In Dalhousie's European Studies program, you’ll take a multidisciplinary approach to understanding European culture, ideas, and history. The program encourages you to develop a broad perspective on Europe through three main subject categories: history and politics; literature and ideas; and the fine arts. You’ll also be required to learn a European language.
Within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Dalhousie and the University of King’s College, 17 different departments and programs offer course with European themes. You can tailor your degree by choosing from these varied offerings. And faculty advisors are always ready to help if you have any questions.
Why focus your studies on Europe? For more than two millennia, Europe has been the source of many of the ideas and cultural values of Western civilization. And European artists, novelists, and philosophers from all ages continue to inspire us in the 21st century.
Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Major in European Studies (4 years)
- Honours in European Studies (4 years)
Required high school courses:
- 4 additional university preparatory courses.
- See Admissions Requirements for more information.
Recommended high school courses:
Application Deadline and Program Dates
Application deadlines for 2016/17
- March 15 - Deadline for scholarship consideration for fall semester
- April 1 - International students (except USA)
- June 1 - All Canadian and American applications
Other important program dates
- June 11 - Registration begins for new high school students
- TBD (September) - Classes begin, fall term
- TBD (December) - Exams begin
See complete list of important dates
- Introductory core courses in European Studies have from 15 to 20 students.
Use our Fee Calculator to estimate the cost of a full year at Dalhousie.
Residence & Housing
Whether you're applying to one of our residence halls or you’re looking for help with an off-campus apartment search, Dalhousie’s Residence and Housing services can help.
- Meal plans
- Dorm-style traditional residences
- Apartment-style, non-traditional
- Off-campus housing