Changing your major

How and when to make that big decision

If you don’t know what you want to major in, don’t worry, you are not alone. Students in the Bachelor of Arts program may declare their major at the end of their first year but are encouraged to continue to explore during their second year.

Get academic advice

The purpose of academic advising is to help you find courses and programs that suit your educational and career objectives. Academic advisors provide accurate, up-to-date information tailored to address your individual needs.

Advising can be done in person, by mail or by telephone. If you would like to talk to someone about choosing your major, contact the Academic Advising Office to speak to an advisor.

Declaring your major

If you are ready to declare your major, you can do so by filling out the online major declaration form. If at any point you decide you would like to change your major, you can do this by filling in the online form again with what you would like to change your major to. Once you submit the form, your major will be updated on your record within 2-3 business days.

English degrees offered

Some of Dalhousie University's first students studied the "various branches of Literature" for their English degree. Today, the department offers a number of undergraduate degree options including:

  • Honours (20 Credit)
  • Combined Honours (20 Credit)
  • Major (20 Credit)
  • Double Major (20 Credit)
  • Concentration (15 Credit)

In order to obtain any of these degrees you must fulfill the English department's requirements as well as General Degree Requirements found in the university's undergraduate calendar.