Why choose architecture at Dal?
We are known nationally and around the world as a school that educates architects with a solid, integrated understanding of design and building: thinking sustainably with their community in mind, using creative and artful designs.
From the start, our program plunges you into the working world of architecture. You will form friendships in studios, hammer out problems on team building projects, and travel to work with respected architectural firms as part of our co-op program.
You will hone your artistic sensibility by working on architectural designs in our studios. You will develop an understanding of technology and innovation. You will acquire a well-rounded knowledge of architectural history and theory.
After attending two years of university, you can complete the architecture program in four years: two years of architecture in the Bachelor of Environmental Design Studies program and two years in the Master of Architecture program.
Our professional Master of Architecture program is accredited by the Canadian Architectural Certification Board.
Bachelor of Environmental Design Studies, Master of Architecture
Bachelor of Environmental Design Studies (BEDS, 2 years)
The Bachelor of Environmental Design Studies is a two-year program entered after completing two years of university studies in another subject. You take courses in design, humanities, technology and professional practice. There is also a four-month co-op work term — a great way to begin applying new knowledge in a professional architectural practice, either in Halifax or abroad.
Master of Architecture (MArch, 2 years)
Finishing a two-year BEDS degree leads to a two-year Master of Architecture program. To become an architect, you must complete the Master of Architecture program. In these two years, you continue to build a deep appreciation and investigation of design, architectural history and theory, and building systems.
Several introductory courses in architecture are open to all Dalhousie students.
Prerequisites for BEDS:
- Minimum two years of an undergraduate degree with a minimum B- average.
- One full-year undergraduate mathematics or science course; one full-year undergraduate Social Sciences or Humanities course, and one half-year course that emphasizes written composition.
- A portfolio of design work that demonstrates creativity and/or artistic skill. It may include sketches, drawings, paintings, furniture, sculpture, crafts, photography or construction projects.
- A letter describing your interest in architecture and in the BEDS program, including information about your aspirations, interests, travel, and activities.
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one from an academic instructor.
Prerequisites for MArch:
- Successful completion of BEDS.
- 65 students are admitted to the BEDS program each year.
Residence & Housing
Whether you're applying to one of our residence halls or you’re looking for help with an off-campus apartment search, Dalhousie’s Residence and Housing services can help.
- Meal plans
- Dorm-style traditional residences
- Apartment-style, non-traditional
- Off-campus housing
Application Deadline and Program Dates
Application deadlines for 2019/2020
- March 1 - Deadline to apply to the BEDS program
Other important program dates
September 10, 2018 - Classes begin, fall term