Why choose Law at Dalhousie?
Studying law is stimulating, intellectually demanding, and fun. You’ll be among other highly motivated students, developing advanced communication skills and problem-solving abilities, as well as proficiency in legal research.
Dalhousie's Schulich School of Law—one of the oldest law schools in Canada—offers comprehensive areas of study including the most extensive range of courses in marine and environmental law in the country.
The Schulich School of Law is also a leader in community law with the Dalhousie Legal Aid Service, the first of its kind in Canada. Spending a semester in the clinic will provide you with opportunities to gain real-life experience while working towards your degree.
The Juris Doctor (JD) degree from The Schulich School of Law is recognized for the purpose of bar admission in all Canadian provinces.
Juris Doctor (JD)
- You can apply to do a study-abroad program and do a semester at a law school in Singapore, Australia, or another location.
- You can choose one of several areas of academic focus, such as Health Law and Policy, Negotiation and Conflict Management, Marine and Environmental Law.
- You may combine your law degree with the Master of Business Administration (MBA), the Master of Public Administration (MPA), the Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS), or the Master of Health Services Administration (MHSA) program.
- an undergraduate degree
- good standing from previous academic study
- completion of test scores from the Law School Admission Test (LSAT)
- required courses can range from 25 to 200 students
- electives can range from 1 student to 100 students, though the general range is from 30 to 60 students
Use our Fee Calculator to estimate the cost of a full year at Dalhousie.
Residence & Housing
Whether you're applying to one of our residence halls or you’re looking for help with an off-campus apartment search, Dalhousie’s Residence and Housing services can help.
- Meal plans
- Dorm-style traditional residences
- Apartment-style, non-traditional
- Off-campus housing