Once you have successfully completed your undergraduate medical education at Dalhousie Medical School, you'll continue your education by doing a residency in the specialization of your choice.The Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS) will assist you in determining your options and applying for your residency. Find out more about CaRMS and the residency application process.
Dalhousie's Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) Office provides administrative and educational support to both residents and the 53 residency programs located at 5 teaching sites in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Find out more about the PGME Office.
If a career in research is your goal, we'll help you with that as well. We offer two research programs for post-graduates/residents: the Clinician Scientist Graduate Program (CSGP) and the Clinician Investigator Program (CIP).
Dalhousie's Faculty of Medicine offers a comprehensive range of departments from which to choose an area of specialization for your residency:
- Anatomy and Neurobiology
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Biomedical Engineering School
- Community Health and Epidemiology
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Medicine (Cardiology, Dermatology, Endocrinology & Metabolism, Gastroenterology, General Internal, Hematology, Infectious Diseases, Medical Oncology, Nephrology, Neurology, Palliative Medicine, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Respirology, Rheumatology)
- Microbiology & Immunology
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology (Obstetrics, Gynaecology, Uro-Gynaecology, Gynaecology-Oncology, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility)
- Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
- Pediatrics (Allergy Division, Atlantic Research Centre, Cardiology, Developmental Pediatrics, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology & Nutrition, General Pediatric Medicine, Hematology/Oncology, Immunology, IWK Community Pediatrics, Medical Genetics, Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine, Nephrology, Neurology, Respirology, Rheumatology)
- Physiology & Biophysics
- Radiation Oncology
- Surgery (Cardiovascular, General, Neursurgery, Orthopaedic, Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, Pediatric General Surgery, Thoracic, Vascular)