Why choose Medicine at Dal?
With campuses in Halifax, N.S. and Saint John, N.B., and teaching sites across Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island, Dalhousie Medical School provides the highest caliber medical education to aspiring doctors and medical researchers in the Maritime region.
Founded in 1868, the medical school is committed to providing a top-notch education, through our quality academic programs and an environment that offers a range of learning experiences. You'll find a curriculum that balances classroom work with clinical and elective opportunities in rural clinics and in large, tertiary-care hospitals.
Dalhousie Medical School trains students to become caring, resourceful physicians able to work with patients, families, and colleagues to provide excellent care in many different contexts and in complex and uncertain situations. As well, our students are encouraged to be agents of creative change in health-care institutions and in communities, and provide outstanding patient-centred care.
Dalhousie Medical School is home to some of Canada's top students, physicians, and medical researchers. Our graduates consistently perform in the top quartile of the Medical Council of Canada exams. This informative and challenging curriculum will prepare you for the next stage of your medical education.
Doctor of Medicine (MD)
Doctor of Medicine (MD)
Our four-year program is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) in cooperation with the committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools (CACMS).
Learning takes place in teaching sites across the Maritimes. Students also have the opportunity to study abroad through the Global Health Office.
Dalhousie offers a combined oral and maxillofacial surgery option for dentistry students (students can graduate with a DDS/MD degree).
- an undergraduate degree
- good academic standing from previous academic study
- completion of the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
- For further application information, please contact the Faculty of Medicine's Admissions Office.
For admission into the undergraduate MD program, preference is given to residents of the Maritime provinces.
Application Deadline and Program Dates
- August 15 - Online application closes at midnight.
- August 15 - Deadline to submit transcripts.
- September 1 - Deadline to submit supplemental and essay (Step 2).
- See the Faculty of Medicine's Admissions Office for more information.
- Approximately 110 students enrol each year in the four-year MD program.
Use our Fee Calculator to estimate the cost of a full year at Dalhousie.
Residence & Housing
Whether you're applying to one of our residence halls or you’re looking for help with an off-campus apartment search, Dalhousie’s Residence and Housing services can help.
- meal plans
- dorm-style traditional residences
- apartment-style, non-traditional
- off-campus housing