To apply to the MD program, a four-year degree in any discipline from an accredited university is required.
Admission to the Dalhousie Faculty of Medicine undergraduate MD program is determined based on four applicant categories: one for each Maritime province (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island) and a fourth for Non-Maritime residence, which includes all other Canadian provinces and territories. For detailed information please review the residency policy located on the Admissions website.
A full course load of five full classes (30 credit hours) in each of the two most senior years of the baccalaureate degree submitted for assessment is generally required. This is the case regardless of the course load required by the program in which you are enrolled.
- Maritime – Minimum 3.3 on a 4.0 scale in each year assessed
- Non-Maritime – Minimum of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale in each year assessed
Maritime – Minimum total score of 503
- Can have only one section score of 124 but the total score must still meet the minimum
- Any section score of 123 or less is not eligible for application
- Two or more section scores of 124 is not eligible for application
Non-Maritime – Minimum total score of 506
- Can have only one section score of 125, but the total score must still meet minimum
- Any section score of 124 or less is not eligible for application
- Two or more section scores of 125 is not eligible for application
For the 2017-2018 application cycle, all applicants to Dalhousie’s Undergraduate Medical Education program are required to complete a mandatory online 90-minute computer-based test (CASPer™), to assist with our selection process. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility.
CASPer results will be used for interview selection purposes only. Applicants who do not complete CASPer or who do not meet the minimum CASPer score of greater than 1.5 standard deviations below the applicant category mean will not be considered.
IMPORTANT UPDATES FOR THE 2017-2018 APPLICATION CYCLE
Our Admissions website has recently been updated with important information regarding the 2017-2018 application cycle. Please refer to it for the most up-to-date admissions information including requirements, and application deadlines.
Admissions requirements are reviewed annually and the admissions requirements from previous years may not apply.
Due to the nature of the selection process, deadlines are strictly enforced. All relevant documentation must be provided by the specified deadlines. Please monitor our Admissions website for up-to-date information.