Faculty members in the Department of Physics and Atmospheric Science conduct ongoing research that is relevant to today's advances in science. The results of their research are published in the top peer-reviewed journals. Below is just a selection of a few of our faculty members' most recent publications.
See our faculty list for links to faculty research websites.
Dr. Scott Chapman
- Chapman, S.C., Widrow L., et al., “Dynamics in the satellite system of Triangulum: Is AndXXII a dwarf satellite of M33?” 2013, MNRAS, in press, arXiv1206.5730 tmp..586C
- Bothwell, M. S.; Smail, Ian; Chapman, S. C.; et al., “A survey of molecular gas in luminous sub-millimetre galaxies.” 2013, MNRAS, arXiv1205.1511
- Bellazzini, M.; Mucciarelli, A.; Ibata, R. A.; Sollima, A.; Dalessandro, E.; Chapman, S.; et al., “The strange case of NGC2419: stellar populations, chemical composition, dynamics.” 2013, MNRAS, in press
- Ibata R., Lewis G., Conn A., Martin N., McConnachie A., Chapman S., et al., “A Vast Thin Plane of Co-rotating Dwarf Galaxies Orbiting the Andromeda Galaxy.” 2013 Nature, 493, 62
Dr. Jeff Dahn
- J.M. Gaudet and J.R. Dahn, Lattice constant anomaly in the Li1+xV1-xO2 system near x=0, Canadian Journal of Physics 91, 444-449 (2013)
- Gu-Yeon Kim and J. R. Dahn, Effects of electrode density on the safety of NCA positive electrode for Li-ion batteries, J. Electrochem. Soc. 160, A1108-A1111, (2013).
- S.R. Li, C.H. Chen, X. Xia and J.R. Dahn, The impact of electrolyte oxidation products in LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4/Li4Ti5O12 cells, J. Electrochem. Soc. 160, A1524-A1528 (2013).
- Nupur Nikkan Sinha, J.C. Burns, and J.R. Dahn, Storage studies on Li/graphite cells and the impact of SEI forming electrolyte additives, J. Electrochem. Soc. J. Electrochem. Soc. 160, A709-A714, (2013).
Dr. Tom Duck
- R. Lindenmaier, K. Strong, R. L. Batchelor, M. P. Chipperfield, W. H. Daffer, J. R. Drummond, T. J. Duck, H. Fast, W. Feng, P. F. Fogal, F. Kolonjari, G. L. Manney, A. Manson, C. Meek, R. L. Mittermeier, G. J. Nott, C. Perro, and K. A. Walker, “Unusually low ozone, HCl, and HNO3 column measurements at Eureka, Canada during winter/spring 2011.” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussion, 12, doi: 10.5194/acpd-12-1053-2012, 2012.
- Z. Mariani, K. Strong, M. Wolff, P. Rowe, V. Walden, P. F. Fogal, T. Duck, G. Lesins, D. S. Turner, C. Cox, E. Eloranta, J. R. Drummond, C. Roy, D. D. Turner, D. Hudak, and I. A. Lindenmaier, “Infrared measurements in the Arctic using two Atmospheric Emitted Radiance Interferometers.” Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 5, 321 - 327, 2012.
- N. T. O'Neill, C. Perro, A. Saha, G. Lesins, T. J. Duck, E. W. Eloranta, G. J. Nott, A. Hoffman, M. L. Karumudi, C. Ritter, A. Bourassa, I. Abboud, S. A. Carn, and V. Savastiouk, “Properties of Sarychev sulphate aerosols over the Arctic.” Journal of Geophysical Research, 117, D04203, doi: doi:10.1029/2011JD016838, 2012.
- G. J. Nott, T. J. Duck, J. G. Doyle, M. E. W. Coffin, C. Perro, C. P. Thackray, J. R. Drummond, E. McCullough and R. J. Sica, “A remotely-operated lidar for aerosol, temperature, and water vapour profiling in the High Arctic.” Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 29, 221 - 234, 10.1175/JTECH-D-11-00046.1, 2012.
Dr. Ian Folkins
- T. Mitovski and I. Folkins. “Origin of the stratiform temperature response to strong convective events: the interaction between convective and dry circulations.” Submitted to J. Geophys. Res., June 27, 2013.
- Ian Folkins, T. Mitovskii and J. R. Pierce. “A simple way to improve the diurnal cycle in convective rainfall over land in climate models.” Submitted to J. Geophys. Res., May 8, 2013.
- M. L. Titus, J. Sheng, R. J. Greatbatch, I. Folkins. “Improved statistical downscaling of general circulation models.” Atmosphere-Ocean, 51 (2), 213-225, 2013.
- I. Folkins. “The melting level stability anomaly in the tropics.” Atmos. Chem. Phys., 13, 1167-1176, 2013.
Dr. Kimberley Hall
- M. Yildirim, S. March, R. Mathew, A. Gamouras, X. Liu, M. Dobrowolska, J. K. Furdyna, and K. C. Hall. “Interband dephasing and photon echo response in GaMnAs.” Phys. Rev. B 101, 062403 (2012).
- A. Gamouras, R. Mathew, and K. C. Hall. “Optically Engineered Ultrafast Pulses for Controlled Rotations of Exciton Qubits in Semiconductor Quantum Dots.” J. Appl. Phys 112, 014313 (2012).
- T. de Boer, A. Gamouras, S. March, V. Novák, and K. C. Hall. “Observation of a blue shift in the optical response at the fundamental band gap in Ga1-xMnxAs.”
Phys. Rev. B 85, 033202 (2012).
- R. Mathew, C. E. Pryor, M. E. Flatté, and K. C. Hall. “Optimal quantum control for conditional rotation of exciton qubits in semiconductor quantum dots.” Phys. Rev. B 84, 205322 (2011).