Dal has excellent professors, great interaction between supervisors and students, as well as a friendly and helpful community, especially for an international student.
What inspires me
The purpose of my research is the characterization of potential thermoelectric materials. Thermoelectric materials are interesting for renewable energy and sustainability because they harvest heat and convert it to useful energy. However, thermoelectric materials are still not applied in many commercial products due to low efficiency. To achieve enhanced efficiency, a better understanding of thermal conductivity is very important. Therefore, I focus on the synthesis and characterization of the thermal conductivity in a broad range of materials, such as clathrates, layered structures, and nanomaterials.
Teaching, labs, research groups
- PhD supervised by Dr. Mary Anne White (since 2012), Dalhousie University
- Master's thesis supervised by Dr. Mary Anne White (Dalhousie University) and Dr. Lorenz Kienle (Christian-Albrechts-University, Kiel, Germany) (2011)
- Laboratory teaching assistant, PHYS 2150, Dalhousie University (2013)
- Laboratory teaching assistant, B301, B402 B501, B502, Christian-Albrechts-University, Kiel, Germany (2008-2011)
- Research assistant in Dr. Mady Elbahri’s group (2012), Dr. Lorenz Kienle’s group (2010-2011), and Dr. Franz Faupel’s group (2008-2009), Christian-Albrechts-University, Kiel, Germany
- R. Abdelaziz, D. Disci-Zayed, M.K. Hedayati, J.-H. Pöhls, A.U. Zilohu, B. Erkartall, V.S.K. Chakravadhanula, V. Duppel, L. Kienle, M. Elbahri, “Green chemistry and nanofabrication in a levitated Leidenfrost drop,” Nature Communications 4:2400; 1-10 (2013).
- J.-H. Pöhls, M.B. Johnson, M.A. White, R. Malik, B. Ruff, C. Jayasinghe, M. Schulz, V. Shanov, “Physical Properties of Carbon Nanotube Sheets Drawn from Nanotube Arrays”, Carbon 50; 4175-4183 (2012).
Awards, honours, conferences
- Second prize in the condensed matter poster division, “Thermal Transport Properties of Ge Clathrates,” Canadian Association of Physicists conference, Montreal, 2013.
- NSERC CREATE DREAMS scholarship (Awarded 2012).
- Best student award in master's program in Materials Science & Engineering, Christian-Albrechts-University, Kiel, Germany (Awarded 2011).
- Best student award in bachelor's program in Materials Science, Christian-Albrechts-University, Kiel, Germany (Awarded 2009.