Dalhousie provides the world-class research opportunities of a large university while retaining the small-town university feel of Nova Scotia.
What inspires me
My research focuses on measuring and improving the lifetime of lithium-ion batteries. I've had the opportunity to work with numerous industrial partners, testing cells that are actually in commercial products and providing feedback to manufacturers on the performance of those cells with the goal of improving the cell lifetime. This real-world application of the research makes every day in the lab interesting and exciting, because our results can directly influence today’s technology.
Teaching, labs, research groups
- Served as a TA for Physics 1190/1290, Physics 1300X/Y and Physics 3010
- Member of the Dahn Lab since 2009
- J.C. Burns, R. Petibon, K.J. Nelson, N.N. Sinha, Adil Kassam, B.M. Way, and J.R. Dahn “Studies of the Effect of Varying Vinylene Carbonate (VC) Content in Lithium Ion Cells on Cycling Performance and Cell Impedance” J. Electrochem. Soc., 160, A1668-A1674 (2013).
- J.C. Burns, N.N. Sinha, Gaurav Jain, Hui Ye, Collette M. VanElzen, Erik Scott, A. Xiao, W.M. Lamanna, and J.R. Dahn “The Impact of Intentionally Added Water to the Electrolyte of Li-ion Cells: I. Cells with Graphite Negative Electrodes” J. Electrochem. Soc., 160, A2281-A2287 (2013).
- J.E. Harlow, D.A. Stevens, J.C. Burns, J.N. Reimers, and J.R. Dahn “Ultra High Precision Study on High Capacity Cells for Large Scale Automotive Application” J. Electrochem. Soc., 160, A2306-A2310 (2013).
- R. Petibon, E.C. Henry, J.C. Burns, N.N. Sinha, and J.R. Dahn “Comparative Study of Vinyl Ethylene Carbonate (VEC) and Vinylene Carbonate (VC) in LiCoO2/Graphite Pouch Cells Using High Precision Coulometry and Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy Measurements on Symmetric Cells” J. Electrochem. Soc., 161, A66-A74 (2013).
- R. Petibon, C. Aiken, Hui Ye, J.C. Burns, N.N. Sinha, S. Trussler, Collette M VanElzen, Gaurav Jain, and J. R. Dahn, “Comparative study of electrolyte additives using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy on symmetric cells” J. Power Sources, Accepted to be published November 2013.
Awards and other honours
- Accepted into the DREAMS program for my PhD at Dalhousie University (2011)
- Resource Centre Award, best TA for 2011-2012 year (2012)
- NSERC Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS-D) to complete my PhD (2012-2015)
- Presidents Award from Dalhousie University (2012-2014)
- Poster Presentation Award for my contribution the Institute for Research in Materials’ 10th Anniversary Symposium (2012)
Invited oral presentations
- J.C. Burns, J.R. Dahn, A.J. Smith, N.N. Sinha, D. Xiong, H.M. Dahn, and T. Bond “How can one tell if a lithium-ion battery will last for 10 years in experiments that only take weeks?” The American Physical Society March Meeting, Boston, MA (2012).
- J.C. Burns, Adil Kassam, B.M. Way, Gaurav Jain, Hui Ye, Collette M. VanElzen, Ang Xiao, W.M. Lamanna, and J.R. Dahn “Advanced diagnostics for testing the impact of electrolyte additives on Li-ion batteries” International Battery Association Meeting, Barcelona, Spain (2013).
- J.C. Burns “Advancements in Li-ion Batteries and Evaluation Techniques” Bright Business Conference – A Global Perspective on Energy Efficiency, Halifax, Canada (2013).
- J.C. Burns Adil Kassam, B.M. Way, Gaurav Jain, Hui Ye, Collette M. VanElzen, Ang Xiao, W.M. Lamanna, and J.R. Dahn “Advanced Diagnostics for Determining the Lifetime of Li-Ion Batteries” ECS Canada Symposium, Montreal, Canada (2013).