How to apply

Application deadlines

Standard application deadlines Canadian applicants Non-Canadian applicants
For September admission June 1 April 1
For January admission October 31 August 31
For May admission February 28 December 31

Many departments have their own deadlines, which can be much earlier than the above deadlines. See below for a list of programs with non-standard deadlines. 

Department-specific application deadlines

Department Application deadline
Architecture February 1 (CDN); December 1 (INTL)
Business Administration (Corporate Residency) May 1 (CDN); January 15 (INTL)
Clinical Vision Science March 1
Communication Sciences and Disorders January 15
Community Health and Epidemiology MSc in Epidemiology and Applied Health Research - January 31; PhD in Epidemiology and Applied Health Research - December 1
Computer Science CS Deadlines
Economics PhD - January 31, Masters - June 1 (CAN); April 1 (INTL)
English January 15
Environmental Management January 31
Environmental Studies January 31
Health Promotion January 15
Information Management (MLIS) April 1 (CDN); January 1 (INTL)
International Development Studies January 31
Journalism February 15
Kinesiology January 15
Law January 15 and March 31
Leisure Studies January 15
Marine Management January 31
Mathematics December 15
Medical Physics January 31
Musicology January 15
Nursing February 1
Occupational Therapy (Entry Level / Post Professional) January 31
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery August 31 of previous year
Periodontics June 1 of the previous year
Philosophy January 31
Physiotherapy January 31
Planning December 15
Political Science January 31
Psychiatry December 1
Psychology & Neuroscience December 1
Social Anthropology January 15
Social Work November 15
Sociology January 15
Statistics December 15

Application process

  1. Complete the graduate application form (online application or print [PDF - 164kb])

  2. Pay $115 application fee

  3. Submit supporting documents directly to the academic department* to which you are applying:
    1. An official academic transcript and degree certificate (if degree conferral not stated on Transcripts) for each post-secondary institution attended, sent directly from the host university in a sealed envelope (a notarized translation is also required for each non-English transcript in addition to an original transcript sent directly from the host university in a sealed envelope). Notarized copies will not be accepted. In the event where applicants can only get one original transcript and degree certificate we will accept verified transcripts/degree certificates (attested copies) from the issuing university. Verified transcripts are photocopies of the original transcripts that the university has attested (stamped/embossed with university seal) to be true. All verified transcripts must arrive in “sealed envelopes” from the issuing university. We will not accept unofficial copies of transcripts (photocopies, notarized copies, nor official transcripts in envelopes that have been opened).
      If your transcripts are issued in a partial name format (ie initial of first name and last name spelled out) than the name on your application please have the degree issuing university provide a letter with your full legal name (as it appears on your passport and application) and your student number/seat number. if your name has been legally changed and is different than the name on your transcripts please provide government proof of name change.

    2. Two academic reference letters, either through the electronic reference system in the online application or by paper [PDF - 277KB]
      • If using the e-reference system, make sure to have the email addresses of your referee ready to list in the online application. Dalhousie University will only accept university, teaching hospital, and government email addresses [ie not Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, or business addresses]. Please allow 5 business days for your referee(s) to be contacted by our system. Please note that you cannot edit, add, or omit references if using the e-reference system. If you made an error in the submission of an email address a paper reference must be submitted.
      • If you are submitting a paper reference letter, it must be in a sealed, stamped envelope which is endorsed across the back seal by the referee and mailed to the address indicated on the form. If a referee is reluctant to follow this procedure, please provide him/her with a stamped envelope, addressed to the department to which you are applying, and have him/her mail the letter directly. If the reference is given to the student directly, do not open the envelope.
      • Some programs may require additional references.
    3. Other supplementary documentation, such as English language proficiency scores, GMAT, GRE, CV, statement of intent, statement of research interests, portfolio, etc. as required by your department*
    4. If you plan to self-fund your studies, please include an original teller stamped or equivalent bank statement showing that you have sufficient funds for your full program fees (fee calculator) plus $1200 per month for the full term of your studies.

*For Engineering applicants, except for Internetworking and Biomedical engineering, all supporting documents must be sent to the Faculty of Engineering Graduate Admissions Office.

Finding a Supervisor

If you are planning to apply for a thesis or research based Master’s or PhD, you might need to find a supervisor before you begin the application process. To find out if securing a supervisor before applying is required or recommended, please check with the graduate program you applying to.