Before the ceremonies:
- Apply to graduate through DalOnline.
- Distribute guest invitations to family and friends. Invitations will be sent to you in early April.
- Check the online list of graduates on Monday May 7 in the afternoon to ensure that you have met the graduation requirements and your degree has been awarded by Senate.
- Let your extended family and friends know that Convocation ceremonies are available for viewing via webcast.
- Consider booking your portrait session with Lifetouch. They will be on site during your ceremony.
- Check your financial record in DalOnline to ensure all student fees and tuition are paid in full so that you will receive your parchment.
- Pick up your academic dress the day before your ceremony. Gowns Room Location/Hours.
- Double check the timing of your ceremony to ensure you arrive on-time.
- Keep in mind that parking on campus is very limited.
The day of your ceremony:
- Arrive at the line-up location (Jenkins Hall), in academic dress one hour before your ceremony begins.
- Find the degree sign for the degree you will receive. This is where you will line-up with fellow graduates in preparation for the ceremony.
- Staff will be available to assist you with pinning your hood.
- Ensure you have your namecard. Marshals will distribute these during line-up.
- During the ceremony, a Marshal will ask you to rise and prepare to cross the stage. You will need your namecard to hand to the Dean. You are welcome to whisper the pronunciation of your name to the Dean as you pass them your namecard.
- As you proceed to centre-stage, you will do one of the following:
Diploma graduates - remain standing as the Chancellor confers your diploma and shakes your hand.
Bachelor graduates - kneel on the kneeling bench as the Chancellor holds a mortarboard over your head and confers your degree.
Masters graduates - remain standing as the Chancellor confers your degree and shakes your hand.
PhD graduates - kneel on the kneeling bench as the Chancellor confers your degree and a Senate representative takes your hood from your left arm and places it over your head
- Next you will proceed to the far side of the stage and receive your parchment from the President. Once you have your parchment you will walk down the stairs and back to your seat. PhD graduates are invited to remain onstage and take a seat with faculty.
- A reception will be held in Jenkins Hall.
- For graduates unable to attend, we encourage you to pick up your parchment at the Enrolment Services Centre if you live in the Truro area. Parchments will be mailed in mid-May to those living outside the Truro area who have requested this service in advance.
- Watch for an email requesting your feedback about Convocation.