Help in the Community

Who can you contact?

Family Physicians

Your Family Physician would normally be the first and main medical professional to provide care for persons suffering from Mood Disorders. Your Family Physician can make a referral to specialized services if needed.


Nova Scotia Health Authority Mental Health Program

Canadian Mental Health Association, NS Division

IWK Mental Health and Addictions (for children and adolescents)

Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research

Mood Disorders Society of Canada

Nova Scotia Government Mental Health Services


Depression Support Group
Ph: (902) 867-1776


Bedford Sackville Mental Health Depression Peer Support Group
Contact: Jim Malone (902) 471-1422


Canadian Mental Health Association, Halifax-Dartmouth Branch
Contact: (902) 455-5445

Depression Peer Support Group
Bayers Road Community Mental Health

Contact: Roy Muise (902) 466-2011

IWK Mental Health and Addictions(for children and adolescents)
Central Referral Services: (902) 464-4110

Laing House Family Support Group
Contact: Maureen Fraser-McLaughlin at or (902) 425-9018, ext 223

Nova Scotia Bipolar Peer Support Group
Contact: Susan Kilbride Roper at or (902) 404-3445

Halifax Regional Municipality telephone crisis support and mobile response
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: (902) 429-8167 or toll free (888) 429-8167


Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Colchester East Hants Branch
Depression and Bipolar Self Help Group
Ph: (902) 895-4211