Get excited for Homecoming 2013
Staff - October 3, 2013
It’s finally here — Homecoming 2013 kicks off today, and throughout the weekend Dal alumni of all ages will be reconnecting with their alma mater.
Whether you’re an alum yourself, or simply want to join in the festivities, there are plenty of opportunities to take part in Homecoming. (Many of the events below require RSVP; check out the Homecoming website for full details.)
University Club Open House (11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., University Club): At the “Dal Touchdown Tour,” the club is offering chili and cornbread ‘on the house’ in the Pub, plus cupcakes and beverages throughout the tour of the building. Guests will be given a scorecard to be marked as you visit each room, and you’ll be entered into a draw for a chance to win a one-year membership to the club.
Alumni Dinner (6 p.m., McInnes Room, SUB): At this sold-out banquet, Dal will celebrate the 2013 Dalhousie Alumni Association award recipients, recognized for their outstanding accomplishments and contributions.
Presidential installation and international panel discussion (9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., Rebecca Cohn Auditorium, Dal Arts Centre): Dr. Florizone’s installation takes place in the afternoon, with a panel discussion featuring university leaders from around the world in the morning. RSVP to attend.
“Come back to class” lectures (Various times and locations): Three special lectures, hosted by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, open to everyone. Topics include Classics (“The Rise of Rome”), History (“Black Death, Silk and the Mongols”) and Film Studies (“Stars and Stardom on Stage and Screen”).
Reunion Lunch (12 p.m., Victorian Lounge, Shirreff Hall): A special welcome for anniversary classes (years ending in ‘3 or ‘8), with complimentary lunch and class photos.
The first Black & Gold Club Homecoming Social (4:30-7 p.m., Grad House): Hosted by the Black & Gold Club, all are welcome to attend! We encourage club members, former Dal athletes, student-athletes and current and former athletics staff to get together at this casual event. Join us for appetizers and drink specials.
Homecoming Shindig (7 p.m., Grawood, SUB): An evening of socializing, reminiscing and catching up.
Lobster Tailgate and Football Game (4 p.m., Studley Gym; football game starts 6 p.m. at Wickwire field): A fun, family-friendly, spirit-filed event to show your Tiger stripes. Tickets to the Lobster Tailgate are $30 ($15 for students), which includes lobster supper and admission to the football game. Tickets for the game by itself are $5.
In addition to the general events above, Dal’s faculties are hosting several events of their own. Here are just a few highlights:
- “Designing Dalhousie Dentistry’s Dwellings” lecture and tour, on the past and present of Dal’s dentistry and medicine buildings (Friday, 4-7 p.m., Dentistry Building)
- “Back to Class” law lecture with Professor Wayne MacKay (Friday, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Weldon Law Building Room 104)
- Faculty of Science Wine Tasting, with BSc alum Jonathan Wilson (Friday, 5-7 p.m., Dalhousie Ocean Sciences Building atrium)
- Computer Science Lecture with Dr. Rob Beiko + Geek Beer reception (Friday, 5-8 p.m., Goldberg Computer Science Building)
- Engineering “smoker,” with gourmet burgers and beer sampling (Friday, 6-8 p.m., Alumni Lounge, Sexton Campus, $25)
- Breakfast and Tour, Rowe Management Building (Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m., Rowe Building)
For more information on these and other Homecoming events in Dal’s faculties, visit the Homecoming website.
comments powered by Disqus